Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2011+ Dodge Durango-WD (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f177/)
-   -   Blacked out the 'Dodge' emblem on tailgate (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f177/blacked-out-the-dodge-emblem-on-tailgate-65921.html)

vertrkr 09-25-2013 04:09 PM

Blacked out the 'Dodge' emblem on tailgate

1 Attachment(s)
I decided the chrome "DODGE" letters didn't look good on the tailgate with the black background so I blacked them out. I like it much better now.

2014 LAREDO 09-25-2013 04:16 PM

Re: Blacked out the 'Dodge' emblem on tailgate

Looks good. What did you use?

vertrkr 09-25-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2014 LAREDO (Post 899374)
Looks good. What did you use?

Glossy black paint pen. It will hold up for about a year before needing a re-coat. I'll probably eventually buy the letters and do a permanent job on them.

Moody Hammer 09-26-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vertrkr (Post 899370)
I decided the chrome "DODGE" letters didn't look good on the tailgate with the black background so I blacked them out. I like it much better now.

Looks good!

davewg 09-26-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

:thumbsup:

Looks good. Great idea with the paint pens. We'll have to think about that.

2014 LAREDO 09-26-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vertrkr (Post 899380)
Glossy black paint pen. It will hold up for about a year before needing a re-coat. I'll probably eventually buy the letters and do a permanent job on them.

I like that it leaves a glossy finish unlike the flat finish of Plasti Dip. Looks like black chrome now and that would match my wheels better.
Where did you get the paint pen and how did you keep the paint from getting on the plastic underneath when doing the edges of the letters?

Laureljoke 09-26-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Is this the first official 2014 Durango mod in the JG? Keep leading the way!

Scottina06 09-26-2013 10:50 PM

I think this is the first mod of a 14 Durango

vertrkr 09-27-2013 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 900122)
I think this is the first mod of a 14 Durango

Rather embarrassing to call it a mod, I just slapped some lipstick on. :)

vertrkr 09-27-2013 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2014 LAREDO (Post 900091)
I like that it leaves a glossy finish unlike the flat finish of Plasti Dip. Looks like black chrome now and that would match my wheels better.
Where did you get the paint pen and how did you keep the paint from getting on the plastic underneath when doing the edges of the letters?

Black chrome is a little different, having more of a silver or bronze hue to it. I'm a huge black chrome fan, it's a special process to get it done right. This is just regular gloss black. Pics can be deceiving.

You can get paint pens at a crafts store, Michaels is a chain in my area. They come in a variety of colors, tip size, sheen. Internet is a good source too.

I didn't do any masking, just being careful with a medium size tip on the edges. The pens won't run or drip typically. Also, don't try to touch up or go over any wet coat, wait for it to dry then touch up or apply a second coat.

2014 LAREDO 09-27-2013 11:55 AM

Thanks ;)