Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Who uses the Speed Limit Warning? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/who-uses-the-speed-limit-warning-65926.html)

mswlogo 09-25-2013 06:35 PM

Who uses the Speed Limit Warning?

I thought it would be fun to take a poll on this.

I find it very useful and unobtrusive.

If you have not used it, try it. You don't need Nav running for it to work.

I set mine to 12 MPH above speed limit.

It usually goes off when I SHOULD slow down. Occasionally it's wrong or I speed up a little earlier than I should and goes off just as I'm passing the higher speed limit sign.

Specx 09-25-2013 06:44 PM

Re: Who uses the Speed Limit Warning?

I've never used it since nobody in the area does the speed limit and I would end up over all the time. I did use the feature to tell me what the speed limit of the area was and there's one section of road that changes so many times in 5 miles that it annoyed the crap out of me.

jerryjjansen 09-25-2013 06:59 PM

I use it and have mind set for 8 miles over. Usually is pretty accurate but sometimes it will give the slower speed limit of a service road if it is close by.

mswlogo 09-25-2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Specx (Post 899472)
I've never used it since nobody in the area does the speed limit and I would end up over all the time. I did use the feature to tell me what the speed limit of the area was and there's one section of road that changes so many times in 5 miles that it annoyed the crap out of me.

Most everyone goes a little over. Just set it to be above what you feel is normally safely over. I'm often 10 over and really don't want to be much over that, so I set it to 12. It doesn't go off that often. And usually when it does, it's right, I should slow down.

It's really best when your driving through areas you are not familiar with.

If you stay above it, it won't keep nagging you either until you cross the threshold again. And it's very polite about it.

If you set it to tight, you'll tune it out or shut it off.

Better to set it 20 MPH over than off.

f1anatic 09-26-2013 06:08 AM

I use it and I have it set for the speed limit.

bill_de 09-26-2013 06:33 AM

The speed limits the system reports are too often incorrect.

I don't blame the system. It seems that changing speed limits is somebody's pet project around here.

---

Bborzell 09-26-2013 07:30 AM

Speed limits where I mostly drive seem to stay put. At first, I tried 5 mph over and began to feel like I was accompanied by a constant dash board driver. Then I went to 9 mph and the incidence of nagging reduced considerably. Now I am at 11 mph and things are pretty quiet.

We have an almost constant CHP speed trap heading west on US80 about 8 miles from my home. Up to 5-6 cars and one bike are at the bottom of a long downhill stretch and pretty much anybody traveling 8-10 miles over gets nailed. I have seen as many as 6 unfortunate souls pulled over within a mile past the spot here the fish barrel shooting takes place. Consequently, I set the cruise at 69 whenever I head west. Driving by in the far right lane helps as the radar gun is usually trained on the faster lanes.

not_too_shabby 09-26-2013 08:16 AM

I have mine set to 15 over. Helps when you are driving on the highway and hit a town where the speed limit drops from 55 to 45 but you are still going 60.

Jim_in_PA 09-26-2013 03:03 PM

I don't have that feature on my MY12, but the TomTom app I have on my iPhone for when I'm traveling on business and need nav in a rental car has that feature. I'd use it if it was available on my Jeep's system.

mswlogo 09-26-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA (Post 899894)
I don't have that feature on my MY12, but the TomTom app I have on my iPhone for when I'm traveling on business and need nav in a rental car has that feature. I'd use it if it was available on my Jeep's system.

I've had that feature on my phone for years. But I never used it because I didn't want to set it up just for that. Initially I didn't use it on the Jeep either because I thought I had to be Navigating. But it's nice that it's always on, set it and forget it. Just set it high enough over to not annoy you.

Jim_in_PA 09-26-2013 03:11 PM

Yea, I rarely go more than five over, but there are always those times when one, um...looses track...because the rest of the traffic has ramped up to super-sonic speeds. A little warning would be nice, IMHO.

Roki303 09-26-2013 06:08 PM

Keep it at 20mph over. Useful for avoiding traps where speed limit goes from 45 to 25 and a sign is covered by an overgrown tree. They usually plant a cop in places like that.

The only problem I have is that the option every couple of weeks gets unchecked. This is driving me nuts!!!