Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Hemi Check Engine Light (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/hemi-check-engine-light-65931.html)

jmingtx@yahoo.com 09-25-2013 10:06 PM

Hemi Check Engine Light

2012 JGC Overland 5.7L Hemi 4x4 with approx. 32,500 miles.

Experience thus far: Check engine light turns on for no apparent reason after burning more than a half tank of fuel since refill. After two weeks plus, I take it to the dealer who tells me it's a gas cap seal issue and just allow it to resolve itself - the light will turn off "after 6-8 cycles or so." Two weeks later, the light turns off.

After 2-3 days, the light turns on again for no apparent reason. After 2-3 weeks I find time to take it to the dealer. After 3 days in the shop for various maintenance and repairs, I am told the vapor canister in the evaporative system was faulty and replaced under warranty. The light is off and smog test passed for state inspection. I am happy.

4 days pass of (for once) problem-free Jeep driving. The light turns on again on my way to work.

This is not my first time at the rodeo with multiple attempts at repairs / multiple days in the shop with this less than two year old vehicle. This dealer service dep't cannot diagnose itself out of a paper bag. Don't even get me started on the quadralift / back end clunking issues. I am fed up. Has anyone else had this problem / success in dealing with it? Has anyone had success in approaching Chrysler about problems with a product that cost $45k+?

bill_de 09-26-2013 07:08 AM

Re: Hemi Check Engine Light

If the vehicle uses a gas cap, did they at least change the cap?

---

GBJeep 09-26-2013 09:26 AM

I had the gas cap issue on my old JGC. Like bill_de said, I would change out the gas cap. If this isn't covered under warranty you can purchase a replacement cap on justforjeeps for $18.95.
Hope you get this resolved.

sur_real1 01-12-2014 11:06 PM

I am experiencing a check engine light and had the codes checked today by Autozone and it appeared to be an evap issue. I assumed maybe it's the gas cap so I gave it a good tighten. Light is still on though.

One thing I am wondering if you had noticed though, I am noticing that the car won't go into eco mode at all. Did anyone else notice this behavior? I've got a 13' grand Cherokee overland with the Hemi.

LTrainGC 01-13-2014 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sur_real1 (Post 958899)
I am experiencing a check engine light and had the codes checked today by Autozone and it appeared to be an evap issue. I assumed maybe it's the gas cap so I gave it a good tighten. Light is still on though.

One thing I am wondering if you had noticed though, I am noticing that the car won't go into eco mode at all. Did anyone else notice this behavior? I've got a 13' grand Cherokee overland with the Hemi.

There is a TSB that might help you out:

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_1802713.pdf

sur_real1 01-13-2014 11:30 AM

Thanks LTrainGC. That looks very relevant and I have scheduled to have my JGC worked on this Wednesday. On a side note, how are you liking your HemiFever tunes? I've been debating on going that route.

LTrainGC 01-13-2014 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sur_real1 (Post 959098)
Thanks LTrainGC. That looks very relevant and I have scheduled to have my JGC worked on this Wednesday. On a side note, how are you liking your HemiFever tunes? I've been debating on going that route.

They are great - the custom 93 tune from him really woke the engine up. However, I had a big issue pop up over the last couple weeks. I'm not going to point my finger and blame Diablosport but I'm not sure what else could have happened. I was debating making a thread about it but I think I'm just going to add to the inTune thread in the performance section.