Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   Noise when steering wheel turned all the way. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/noise-when-steering-wheel-turned-all-the-way-65954.html)

JeepersCreepers 09-26-2013 01:16 PM

Noise when steering wheel turned all the way.

I get a humming / whurring type noise when my steering wheel is turned all the way (to its limit) in either direction. Anyone else's do this?

bill_de 09-26-2013 02:11 PM

Re: Noise when steering wheel turned all the way.

Don't all cars with power steering do that?

---

JeepersCreepers 09-26-2013 02:16 PM

Oops, I meant to post this in the WK2 forum, not sure how it ended up here.

Quote:

Don't all cars with power steering do that?
I'm not sure. Didn't notice it until I got my Jeep, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Frango100 09-26-2013 04:33 PM

When steering wheel is turned all the way, the power steering pump will have to deliver full pressure and will start moaning. It will create lots of stress on the pump and is not good for its durability. For that reason its not a good idea to keep the steering wheel to full turn for prolonged times.

lstowell 09-26-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepersCreepers (Post 899846)
I get a humming / whurring type noise when my steering wheel is turned all the way (to its limit) in either direction. Anyone else's do this?

If old fashioned hydraulic power steering, you should be more worried if it QUITS doing that.

JeepersCreepers 09-27-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 899937)
When steering wheel is turned all the way, the power steering pump will have to deliver full pressure and will start moaning. It will create lots of stress on the pump and is not good for its durability. For that reason its not a good idea to keep the steering wheel to full turn for prolonged times.

Thanks.

Another thing I noticed is that when turned all the way and moving, I can feel a slight rubbing sensation, almost as if the tires are making contact, but they're not. I assume it's related and normal as well?

(Any chance the mods can move this thread to f107?)

jeeper_57 09-28-2013 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepersCreepers (Post 899846)

As bill_de.. for me it's a bit normal