Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Liberty-KJ and KK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f189/)
-   -   Woman killed when car breaks down (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f189/woman-killed-when-car-breaks-down-65998.html)

hammer1234 09-27-2013 12:11 PM

Woman killed when car breaks down

I have a 2011 JGC so I can't completely relate to this, but as a Jeep owner I'm curious...

Does anyone know what would have caused a 2006 Liberty to just shut down in the middle of a highway?

Woman killed when car breaks down, is struck by hearse in Avon - Boston.com

Frango100 09-27-2013 07:21 PM

Re: Woman killed when car breaks down

Quite some possibilities, but some well known are bad crank or cam sensors, bad fuel pump, empty fuel tank................

hammer1234 09-28-2013 06:32 PM

But would those result in a situation where one can't pull over to the side of the road? Just wondering although my guess is that the driver somehow wasn't thinking and let the car die in the middle of a highway.

Tragic.

bill_de 09-28-2013 06:45 PM

Chrysler bought back a 2014 JGC from a member here. One problem was that the car would die on highway.

---

pcrawf 09-29-2013 06:30 PM

my wife had a 98 Acura CL and it had a recall on the ignition switch because it would shut down on the highway.

ExcursionDiesel 09-29-2013 09:38 PM

Cmon guys. A car can have numerous issues that prevent it from running...it could run out of gas "on the highway". Very few things would prevent a driver from making it to the roadside...and if one where to get stranded "on the highway", turn the flashers on and get out of the vehicle.

It was obviously a terrible tragedy...one that most would hopefully avoid.

bd

Predator58 09-30-2013 12:45 PM

How do they know the JEEP died????
in the early 80's my girlfriend was on the freeway going to work....5am, dark and heavy fog.......she was late and doing her make-up while she was driving (sorry this ain't no cell phone tradgedy and proves there were always other distractions). Her make-up case fell and she pulled over on the freeway berm....only problem was she was in the passing lane when she pulled over and stopped (in the slow lane).....a semi hit her abourt 45 mph and killed her on the spot.......It took months before they found out why she was stopped.

bfiore@hotmail.com 10-05-2013 09:34 PM

I have a 2002 Liberty Limited. Died in the middle of Rt. 66 in 2004 where gasoline trucks were coming up the ramp to get on the road. Turned out to be the electronics that controls acceleration. I called the Jeep a POS for years, but not more problems since. Waiting for a Cherokee.

devilsadvocate 01-23-2014 09:42 PM

2006 Limited Liberty that I got rid of roughly a month ago after it died a few times on the highway. Replaced fuel pump, crankshaft sensor, crank position sensor, computer and something else and it worked again. But honestly, it is a terrifying experience when it dies. Not surprised that someone got killed that way.