Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Going to regular old valves good or bad move? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/going-to-regular-old-valves-good-or-bad-move-6601.html)

05quadratrac 02-16-2010 12:01 AM

Going to regular old valves good or bad move?

Im throwing tires on the end of this week and my TPMS valves are all messed up, i cant even fill them with air because the threads corroded away, im thinking about going to regular old valves and saving $100 plus dollars, I can deal with the warning light but is there any other downsides? Also if a friend mounted your tires for you how much money would you throw him? Im not sure what the going rate is my cars in the past usually died before my tires. :D

Robert Palmer 02-16-2010 12:05 AM

Re: Going to regular old valves good or bad move?

Well now you'll have the light on all the time and you now wont be able to see your tire pressures.

I wouldnt do it. Just spend the extra dough.

Scottina06 02-16-2010 12:06 AM

I would get the sensors......

cheap places around here mount and balance for $9-10 each

05quadratrac 02-16-2010 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elvis Presley (Post 151729)
Well now you'll have the light on all the time and you now wont be able to see your tire pressures.

I wouldnt do it. Just spend the extra dough.

Mine has the cheap TPMS it only shows the warning light, i've grown use to it front not being able to fill my rear tire with the broken valve stem. :D

Robert Palmer 02-16-2010 12:08 AM

Oh well then if you can deal with the light, go ahead.

05quadratrac 02-16-2010 12:29 AM

haha yeah its a tough call, im short on cash so its either buy the tpms or be about $120 closer to a Superchip.

fatfreddy 02-16-2010 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05quadratrac (Post 151726)
Im throwing tires on the end of this week and my TPMS valves are all messed up, i cant even fill them with air because the threads corroded away, im thinking about going to regular old valves and saving $100 plus dollars, I can deal with the warning light but is there any other downsides? Also if a friend mounted your tires for you how much money would you throw him? Im not sure what the going rate is my cars in the past usually died before my tires. :D

I read on the other Jeep forum that you can hook the Starscan up and disable the tire pressure warning.

05quadratrac 02-16-2010 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatfreddy (Post 151783)
I read on the other Jeep forum that you can hook the Starscan up and disable the tire pressure warning.

Cool i'll have to check that out. It seems like a uselsss feature anyway unless you're an old lady who doesnt know how to use a tire pressure gauge occasionally. :)

LTrainGC 02-16-2010 08:06 AM

I didn't put my TPMS sensors in my new JK wheels since I don't have the premium TPMS system - just the dummy light, and I check my tire pressures weekly.

A small piece of black electrical tape solved the light problem. Blends in with the instrument cluster pretty good (I can't tell it is there unless the sun it hitting it in the right way).

Robert Palmer 02-16-2010 11:05 AM

^NYC cabbie style. Lol

LTrainGC 02-16-2010 11:18 AM

I keeps it real LOL

WSP Jeep 02-16-2010 12:37 PM

LTrain, thats a good idea with the electrical tape, im going to do that later on today.