Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   I don't get it Chrysler! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/i-dont-get-it-chrysler-66016.html)

Keyser 09-28-2013 08:13 AM

I don't get it Chrysler!

Last night I was at my Jeep dealer for some servicing and walked around saw 2 srt's and 6 summits and then that's when I noticed that they all had something in common. They all had painted wheel flare extensions and they all were coming unstuck to varying degrees. Wk2 srt's came out in 2012 MY and right from the beginning people had issues with those flares, I seem to recall it was the only model at that time that had those extended flares. You would think that by now with the 2014's they would of either redesign those fenders to be one piece or change out the two sided tape. I love the overall look and feel of my srt but fit and finish can't be better than a 6.5 on 10. 72000$ and change, come on Chrysler wake up! This wasn't a rant just my own observation.

Scottina06 09-28-2013 08:25 AM

Re: I don't get it Chrysler!

Ive had 2...2013 and 2014. The only problem I had was a scratch on the rear liftgate bar on the 14. 0 problems fender flares. They are an easy fix.....don't know why so many people have problems. Its simple 3m tape.

Artofnoize 09-28-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 900761)
Ive had 2...2013 and 2014. The only problem I had was a scratch on the rear liftgate bar on the 14. 0 problems fender flares. They are an easy fix.....don't know why so many people have problems. Its simple 3m tape.

It's a problem because an on going issue like that simple or not should be addressed by the engineers at JNAP with whoever the vendor is. Could be something as simple as the operator using an alcohol wipe on the area of adhesion before install. Yeah it's simple to fix, but it shouldn't be that way in the first place.

Scottina06 09-28-2013 09:15 AM

I can agree there...but I would never let the dealer mess with it. Its all in the prep.....but its weird that JNAP cant get it right. Ill see if I can get some numbers on the problems they are having with these.

jim383 09-28-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keyser (Post 900751)
Last night I was at my Jeep dealer for some servicing and walked around saw 2 srt's and 6 summits and then that's when I noticed that they all had something in common. They all had painted wheel flare extensions and they all were coming unstuck to varying degrees. Wk2 srt's came out in 2012 MY and right from the beginning people had issues with those flares, I seem to recall it was the only model at that time that had those extended flares. You would think that by now with the 2014's they would of either redesign those fenders to be one piece or change out the two sided tape. I love the overall look and feel of my srt but fit and finish can't be better than a 6.5 on 10. 72000$ and change, come on Chrysler wake up! This wasn't a rant just my own observation.

Its the 2 way tape there using and they sent my 2012 out to there body shop and i was there asking how there going to fix them. They said for get the tape as in the summer time the heat may lossen them again so were going to glue them back on only where there lifting and so far its been 6 months and there all ok.

HemiFan 09-28-2013 03:25 PM

On a 70k vehicle that is unacceptable !

bill_de 09-28-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiFan (Post 900949)
On a 70k vehicle that is unacceptable !

I'm glad I only bought a 50k Jeep. At least if mine fall off I can consider it acceptable. :rolleyes:

I sure dodged a bullet this time. :lol:

---

mrmaker 09-28-2013 05:31 PM

Your right, it's not acceptable on a 85k vehicle, both my fronts had detached, dealer told me its common and the problem was that the tape had disintegrated, all fixed now. Apart from this minor issue, I think the finish of these vehicles is quite good and on par with much more expensive brands and most certainly light years ahead of when Chrysler was owned by Daimler.

Chris02stNg 09-29-2013 10:23 AM

Ill chime in as well, I have a 2014,and several of the flares are not adhered right, and one is just plain put on wrong. I haven't take it to the dealer yet, as I'm worried about them breaking something else, but it do feel this is really unacceptable. Scott, I'd love to hear what you find out.

phillysrt 09-29-2013 12:03 PM

My passenger side flare is like that too. I agree on a 70k vehicle it isn't acceptable! I thinks it's BS That we have little issues like these. They are PITA issued that aggravate me

JohnS 09-29-2013 12:26 PM

I've been a loyal Jeep customer since I bought my first Grand Cherokee in 1993. I'm sure Chrysler/Jeep feels these types of problems, e.g. flares & facia adhesion, loose grounds, etc. and piddly & not important in the big picture (they're not life threatening). But, they are an indication of how, even with the huge improvement in quality and materials over previous models, Chrysler/Jeep is still a bush league car company when it comes to customer service. All car companies have issues, but it's how well they resolve these issues to satisfy their customers, that sets the world class companies apart from the others. I've heard many horror stories of Chrysler rejecting warranty claims that are obvious issues, e.g. visible panel corrosion, etc.. The fender flare issue is a good example where Chrysler/Jeep should have responded quickly to their customer's complaints and issued instructions to their dealers to repair this issue immediately when the problem is identified. My understanding is that if I raised the issue with my dealer, he would have to take a photo of the issue and submit it to Chrysler to approve the repair, with no guarantee that it would be approved. In the meantime, the customer has to wait to hear if the repair will be done, or not. It's an indiction that Chrysler doesn't trust their dealers, or their customers. Bush league, for sure.:mad:

Scottina06 09-29-2013 12:33 PM

Can I get pics from everyone to pass onto my contacts