Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Scratches in instrument plastic (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/scratches-in-instrument-plastic-66059.html)

My1stJGC 09-29-2013 04:37 PM

Scratches in instrument plastic

So I just got my 2014 yesterday it was cloudy out. Today the sun was out and I noticed what looks to be some obvious scratches in the corner of the lens. Do you think they would replace it for me since I had just got it.

Srt8_hmi 09-29-2013 06:26 PM

Re: Scratches in instrument plastic

Very common and scratches very easily. I won't even wipe mine off.

SW03ES 09-29-2013 07:33 PM

If you just got it I would take it back.

They might screw the dash up worse trying to replace it though.

My1stJGC 09-30-2013 05:26 PM

I cant really see them unless the sun is shining on it. I will mention it once I pick up my weathertech mats.

Tarponbeach 09-30-2013 06:12 PM

Same problem here. My 2014 has a large scratch running horizontal, by the odometer. The plastic faceplate does seem to scratch very easily.

erikgenerik 10-02-2013 01:50 AM

Crazy! I have the exact same thing on the right side of my instrument cluster...like you said thought I can only see it when the sun shines a certain way on it.

FD12ME 10-02-2013 10:06 AM

Try this. Wipe on and rub in until the scratches are gone-won't take long. I have it for a watch I own and used it on the the plastic for the gauges in my old car. Worked like a charm. I agree with SW03ES-they prob won't even fix it and if they do, they'll cause far more damage then what they fix.

Plastic Watch Crystal Scratch Remover Polish Tool: Watches: Amazon.com

My1stJGC 10-02-2013 05:56 PM

Well I went to dealership today and they had taken pictures and filled out some paperwork. They will let me know if they fix it or I have to live with it. They said it would replace whole instrument cluster. If they damage anything in process they would have to fix that also plain and simple I will not tolerate other damages.

My1stJGC 10-03-2013 04:14 PM

Got a call from dealership saying my weather tech floor mats are in and that they ordered the lens and trim piece for my instrument cluster.

TomHaxell 10-27-2013 04:51 PM

Hi Chaps,

I know I am one of those fussy people and hate to damage anything. And knowing very well how easy it is to scratch the instrument cluster lens, I decided the first time I was to clean it to use my feather duster to simply fluff the dust off the lens. Only, I did not notice there was a sharp piece of wire on the end of the feather duster where the plastic cap had fallen off. Thus, I put a gouge into my perfect condition cluster lens. It is so irritating. You can only see it at certain angles but do you think this something I should look into replacing or will there be a greater chance of breaking something else and making it worse? Sadly, I think the scratch is too deep to polish out.
Any thoughts would be gratefully received,

~Tom

bill_de 10-27-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomHaxell (Post 918653)
Hi Chaps,

I know I am one of those fussy people and hate to damage anything. And knowing very well how easy it is to scratch the instrument cluster lens, I decided the first time I was to clean it to use my feather duster to simply fluff the dust off the lens. Only, I did not notice there was a sharp piece of wire on the end of the feather duster where the plastic cap had fallen off. Thus, I put a gouge into my perfect condition cluster lens. It is so irritating. You can only see it at certain angles but do you think this something I should look into replacing or will the clumsy dealership greasy hands only damage something else making it worse? Sadly, I think the scratch is too deep to polish out.
Any thoughts would be gratefully received,

~Tom

Obviously you don't have much confidence in the dealer, so maybe you should do it yourself.

Oh, wait ... who put the scratch in the plastic?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

---

TomHaxell 10-27-2013 05:56 PM

I know, it is soooo true, had I not being "careful", I would have simply used a damp cloth to wipe the dust off but worried that would leave minor marks in the lens. Oh, if only I could have those seconds back! I too did wonder whether I could order a lens to do the job myself. I see a screw at the top, but I think the others are hidden under trim. It might be best to move on and forget....?