Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   2014 Grand Cherokee Dash noise (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/2014-grand-cherokee-dash-noise-66088.html)

Stevm65 09-30-2013 12:23 PM

2014 Grand Cherokee Dash noise

In a previous thread I was trying to chase down a vibration buzz behind the inst cluster. I think the problem turned out to be the plastic cover below the steering column that covers the knee air bag. It rattled to the touch and when I put a little weatherstrip foam under the edges it seems to have eliminated 90% of the noise. I wouldn't mind pulling that cover off and seeing just what the problem was and maybe doing a better fix. I'm hesitant to start fooling around near the bag ,however. Does anyone know how to safely and easily remove that lower front cover? It's the one with the airbag logo on it.
Thanks

jacko15 09-30-2013 01:05 PM

Re: 2014 Grand Cherokee Dash noise

Isn't it under warranty? I wouldn't want to mess with anything related to the airbag system, could get expensive! But that's just me. :)

Stevm65 09-30-2013 02:34 PM

I know, and I feel the same way, but the dealer said that it was too much trouble for them to try and find the noise... come back if it gets worse. They didn't want to be bothered. I didn't like that at all, but they're local and I didn't want to get off on the wrong foot with them. I'm a retired mechanic and noises like that bother me probably more than the average person. I'm not going to take it any further than this without some feedback. That's why I put it out here. I think that it's just a plastic cover and not really part of the airbag system, but I'll wait and see if anyone knows for sure.

llmorin 10-14-2013 10:02 AM

I have the same issue. 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. Noise seems to be somewhere in the dash on the driver's side. It is at the dealer for the third time right now.

Stevm65 10-14-2013 12:21 PM

You're lucky that they are putting so much time into it. I've been looking more myself. I removed the radio bezel and cluster and checked behind them. No luck. I still think it's somewhere behind the knee air bag cover. It seems like the outside cover is connected to the underlying structure by perforations that are meant to break away if it goes off. Consequently it has a lot of movement. I don't want to mess with that assembly. Please let me know if the dealer finds out what it is and I'll try again with my dealer.

rodman83 10-14-2013 12:59 PM

I dropped mine off at the dealer this morning for a similar noise. Will report back in the evening of they are able to determine the cause and fix it.

JeepersCreepers 10-14-2013 01:42 PM

I wonder if this TSB is related? http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_1900113.pdf (19-001-13)

rodman83 10-14-2013 01:48 PM

I don't think thats the reason on mine. Mine is a 9/9 build.

Stevm65 10-14-2013 06:08 PM

I double checked for the tsb bracket, not the problem. I have changed my belief that it's the air bag cover too. This noise is really a pain. It can go away for days at a time and then return. It also varies in volume and intensity. I've thought that I had it a couple of times, but it came back.It's almost like a piece of something is floating around and can buzz around under different circumstances. I'm usually pretty good at tracking these noises down, but this one has me really bugged. If somebody gets a good lead on it, I'll go back to the dealer and press tham a little harder to find the problem.

llmorin 10-14-2013 06:20 PM

The dealer said it is the power source computer in the dash. They had it exposed and were able to recreate the noise. When they ordered a new computer it said there were 51 on back order in the COUNTRY. So a lot of people having this issue. The part should be be in Wednesday and hopefully I can get it fixed Friday. I will keep you posted.

Stevm65 10-14-2013 07:36 PM

did they say if it was a physical problem, like something loose inside the unit?
what exactly was making the noise? Was yours intermittent?
Thanks

llmorin 10-15-2013 06:31 PM

Yes it was a physical problem. They were able to make the noise by tapping on the unit. It is intermittent but worse when on rough roads. I hope this fixes the problem.