Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   electric power steering and your opinion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/electric-power-steering-and-your-opinion-66090.html)

classic rider 09-30-2013 12:27 PM

electric power steering and your opinion

My thoughts are--No road feel,hard steering compared to hyd. steering,wheel not returning proper from turns,AND I no like FAT steering wheel. your thoughts please

jacko15 09-30-2013 12:52 PM

Re: electric power steering and your opinion

If you're talking about the '14 JGC, the steering is hydraulic. The only thing that is electric is the hydraulic pressure pump. Instead of the pressure pump being run off of a belt from the engine, it's run with an electric motor. The steering itself is still hydraulic in every sense of the word. I guess the steering wheel is a matter of personal preference. I prefer the thicker wheel much more than the thin wheel on my '08 Enclave. I don't have a problem with the way the steering works, of course, this is my first JGC, so I can't really compare it to earlier models.

bill_de 09-30-2013 12:54 PM

You still have hydraulic power steering. The only difference is that an electric motor drives the pump instead of a belt/pulley. But, many folks thinking it is a different steering system, 'notice' the difference. You are not alone.

Edit - Jack is s speed typist. :)

---

azzolij 09-30-2013 02:31 PM

I had an early 2011 with the engine driven power steering and I don't notice any difference with my 2014 electric motor driven version. Neither require much effort for me to keep the vehicle on track.

2012 Summit 09-30-2013 05:10 PM

I said it before and I'll say it again. All WK2's have hydraulic power steering.

padgett 09-30-2013 07:28 PM

BTW "feel" in a power steering unit like ours is primarily a matter of how strong the reaction spring is, a light spring has less "feel" than a heavy spring and if you toss in a variable ratio steering gear all bets are off. Further, the same spring will have less "feel" in a light car than a heavy one.

When Pontiac wanted to increase the "feel" in a 78 Firebird with WS6 they just put in a power steering spring from a Sunbird (glorified Vega) that was about 800 lbs lighter.

ps the assist valving is much the same in a recirculating ball as a rack and pinion.

pps "return to center" is mostly caster angle.

mswlogo 09-30-2013 07:59 PM

Mine feels fine.

My wifes Electric steering on her VW CC feels fine too.

Peter_K 09-30-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by padgett (Post 902034)
BTW "feel" in a power steering unit like ours is primarily a matter of how strong the reaction spring is, a light spring has less "feel" than a heavy spring and if you toss in a variable ratio steering gear all bets are off. Further, the same spring will have less "feel" in a light car than a heavy one. When Pontiac wanted to increase the "feel" in a 78 Firebird with WS6 they just put in a power steering spring from a Sunbird (glorified Vega) that was about 800 lbs lighter. ps the assist valving is much the same in a recirculating ball as a rack and pinion. pps "return to center" is mostly caster angle.

It's actually a torsion bar connected to and internal to the spool valve -- sort of a "spring" but torsion bar is more technically accurate. And yes...a thicker (or stronger material) torsion bar will produce a "heavier" steering feel as more effort is needed to twist the bar before the spool valve turns and hydraulic assist comes in.

GCLimited 10-01-2013 07:44 AM

I find nothing wrong with the steering on my 2014 GC V6 Limited 4x4...in fact I think the "Feel" it's just perfect for an SUV. And I like the nice thick steering wheel as well. I'm still amazed at how little roll there is and how neutral the stock suspension acts at speed on the off-ramps.

Skinny steering wheels died in the 60's my friend.

;)

AAAA 10-01-2013 08:09 AM

Fat wheel took 20 seconds to get used to. I love it.

padgett 10-01-2013 09:14 AM

I got used to fat wheels on my race cars, is much less likely to slip in your grip than a hard skinny wheel particularly with fire-resistant gloves on.

Guess my first "fat" wheel (padded leather cover) was in about 1967. Of course I have long, slender fingers (can spread 180 degrees and span an octave plus a key on a piano) which is handy when working on the back of an instrument panel.

So heep wheel feels good to me, only drawback is that compared to my GM cars it is hard to change the tilt so good thing I can get in and out with the wheel full down.

Angler 10-01-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCLimited (Post 902274)
I find nothing wrong with the steering on my 2014 GC V6 Limited 4x4...in fact I think the "Feel" it's just perfect for an SUV. And I like the nice thick steering wheel as well. I'm still amazed at how little roll there is and how neutral the stock suspension acts at speed on the off-ramps.

Agree completely. :thumbsup: