Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2014+ Cherokee-KL (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f216/)
-   -   A Cherokee SRT4 possibly in the works? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f216/a-cherokee-srt4-possibly-in-the-works-66096.html)

seeingwhite 09-30-2013 02:08 PM

A Cherokee SRT4 possibly in the works?

I found this story online about Jeep considering an SRT4 version of the new 2014 Cherokee. Anyone interested?

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2013...deration-39125

Scottina06 09-30-2013 02:39 PM

Re: A Cherokee SRT4 possibly in the works?

its not true......

seeingwhite 09-30-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 901902)
its not true......

Would you be interested in one if they produced it?

Scottina06 09-30-2013 03:35 PM

too small for me...I need a performance SUV the size of the GC. Im sure it would be a rocket...but there is 0 development of a KL Cherokee SRT. The wk2 SRT is a huge hit and selling like hotcakes. It makes dodge and chryco jealous....so the next new SRT will come from those stables more than likely.

seeingwhite 09-30-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 901947)
too small for me...I need a performance SUV the size of the GC. Im sure it would be a rocket...but there is 0 development of a KL Cherokee SRT. The wk2 SRT is a huge hit and selling like hotcakes. It makes dodge and chryco jealous....so the next new SRT will come from those stables more than likely.

Yeah it is amazing the amount of performance that the JGC SRT puts out for its size.

Scottina06 09-30-2013 03:53 PM

yeah...I did a 3.9 0-60 today in a 5300 lb brick!

FStephenMasek 09-30-2013 06:15 PM

If the V6 is just the same, but with a smaller bore, it seems changing to the larger V6 would be the least expensive way to have more power while minimizing the weight increase. Of course, a turbo four would weight less, and that could improve handling.

FAUEE 10-28-2013 04:19 PM

I think a supercharged V6 SRT6 Cherokee would make sense, both as a powertrain, and as a model.

The Grand Cherokee SRT8 is flat out expensive. No two ways about it - it's playing in the same league as the high dollar Germans. But that's not where the growth is, the growth is in the smaller sport SUVs - the X3s, Q5s, and GLKs of the world. Audi has the SQ5 that you can go out and buy right now, and it will likely do quite well because CUVs of that size are a HUGE market. A fully loaded SQ5 is about $61k MSRP, and gets SIGNIFICANTLY better fuel economy with very similar performance (the Audi is slower without a doubt, but not by a huge amount). BMW is not so secretly working on a 400+ hp X3M, and Porsche is set to unleash a cadre of performance SUVs with the Macan, with the Turbo expected to be 400hp and somewhere around 3700 pounds. It will be very, very fast if that holds true. AMG can't be very far behind in developing a performance based GLK, and possibly more than just that.

The point is, that segment is hot. SRT/Jeep ignoring it in favor of the GC SRT8 would be foolish, because the fact is a HUGE part of the market buying things like this don't want to spend $70k on an SRT8 that gets 19 highway. But, they'd be happy with an SRT6 Cherokee that got 25mpg.

SRT doesn't want to lose this opportunity to make a big impact in a growing market, not be a small player in an already existing one. Chrysler and Dodge have nothing else in this segment with which to wage war. If SRT could fix the ugly in the Cherokee, get 400ish hp out of a supercharged V6, make it get 25mpg highway, and price it starting in the low $40s, topping out at less than $50k, they could make a huge impact and really take it to the Europeans and their sport SUVs.

And ass whooping like that would also bring more buzz to the whole brand, and make it easier for them to sell SRT8 GCs.

If SRT managed to make an SRT6 Cherokee fulfilling those criteria, I'd cross shop it against the Macan, SQ5, and X3M whenever I have to get rid of my Corvette,

yjbeach 11-01-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 901947)

"Need" or want? lol

NHPATRIOT 11-01-2013 02:00 PM

Chrysler should just worry about getting the regular Cherokee's out to consumers never mind an SRT version.