Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Wow, backing up to a trailer is a breeze with Rear Camera (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/wow-backing-up-to-a-trailer-is-a-breeze-with-rear-camera-66111.html)

mswlogo 09-30-2013 08:10 PM

Wow, backing up to a trailer is a breeze with Rear Camera

It's funny, the ONLY reason I wanted the 8.4AN Radio was for the HD Radio.

I had no idea this would include the Backup Camera.

I'm still getting used to it and confidence in it and calibrating my distances to the hitch (i.e. object may be closer than they appear type thing).

But I've been backing up closer and closer to my trailer to hook up.

The other day I backed up and got closer and closer and then saw the little black plastic cover wiggle.

Holly Crap you can back up the whole way and get it dead on.

The animated road path as you turn the wheel is icing on the cake.

Just turn the wheel until the center line is aimed at the hitch and go until you SEE the hitch over the ball.

It's crazy good.

Jim_in_PA 09-30-2013 08:22 PM

Re: Wow, backing up to a trailer is a breeze with Rear Camera

Yea, I love the camera for that...almost every time, I'm getting it nailed "first time"...back the ball under the hitch, stop, get out, drop the hitch down on the ball and do the rest of the routine. If anything, when I miss, it's by an inch or two at the most. It's uncanny how that camera is aimed exactly down on the ball, too!

Zybane 09-30-2013 08:36 PM

Yup, the camera systems are awesome. I like them so much in fact, I will mount mini cameras under the vehicle for off-roading and what not.

mswlogo 09-30-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zybane (Post 902071)
Yup, the camera systems are awesome. I like them so much in fact, I will mount mini cameras under the vehicle for off-roading and what not.

That will be cool to check out when you have something.

SNUKE 09-30-2013 09:01 PM

I always had planned to move the rear camera on my current 4WD to view the tow ball, but never completed it.
Those with Quadra Lift can go one step better, lower it below the tow ball, reverse until they are right under it, and then raise the suspension to engage the ball all without getting out of the drivers seat.

WATacoRider 09-30-2013 09:10 PM

A camera is the best mod ever for backing up to a trailer. I recently did it to my truck and can't believe how long I've gone without one. I was using those antennas with foam balls on top from HarborFreight for the past couple of years. :slapfight:

http://i.imgur.com/PumP5SV.jpg

jeepinAl 09-30-2013 11:07 PM

Anybody know if the 8.4an system would allow additional cameras (tap into the original system) ? Ie; maybe somehow have a forward facing camera?

SNUKE 10-01-2013 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepinAl (Post 902148)
Anybody know if the 8.4an system would allow additional cameras (tap into the original system) ? Ie; maybe somehow have a forward facing camera?

Not officially.

See this

NAV-TV Corporation: Customer Area

LOCKPICK CAMERAS

padgett 10-01-2013 08:50 AM

Be nice to have front and rear, am used to long nosed GM cars. Or could just mount some mirrors.

kkreit01 10-01-2013 10:14 AM

After having one on my past 4 vehicles, I wouldn't want to be without it. In my Ram, it's easier to back into a parking spot vs driving forward. Driving forward, you can't see the lines at all.

mswlogo 10-01-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkreit01 (Post 902344)
After having one on my past 4 vehicles, I wouldn't want to be without it. In my Ram, it's easier to back into a parking spot vs driving forward. Driving forward, you can't see the lines at all.

Good point. I never thought of that. Who needs the stupid Park Assist if you can see it.

The Evil Twin 10-02-2013 09:33 AM

The *only* problem I have ever had with the camera is the sun glare. My race trailer is silver, and when the sun is reflecting off of it (and the hitch is in the shadow) I can't make out exactly where the coupler is since it is black. I have since stuck some white reflective tape on it but haven't tested it under those conditions.
Otherwise- 1 try hook up!