Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Check 4wd system (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/check-4wd-system-66131.html)

LOUDUH13 10-01-2013 08:33 AM

Check 4wd system

Bought my first Jeep last month, '05 GC Limited. I am new to 4 WD and cannot engage my 4 WD system. I have the key ON, transmission in neutral, foot on the brake and when I lift the t-handle, "check 4 wd system" light comes on. I attached a code reader, but no codes come up at all. Is my engaging procedure correct? I have a Quadratrac II and was wondering if there are known issues similar to mine. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks,
Lou

cherokee517 10-04-2013 10:35 AM

Re: Check 4wd system

A few yrs ago my husband got me a used 05. It has had the "service 4WD sys" since I got it. Unless & until it comes up with something new to complain about. Then it goes away or flashes back & forth.
The only fixes I've heard of for that were:
·to put it in 4WD & drove a few miles down a dirt rough road. I guess sensor sends false msg when not used.
·reprogramming FDCM
·if still on then delay turning key to second position for 2 seconds

I know you can't even get it into 4WD. I tried shifting out of 4 low once and it wouldn't do it. I pulled the cheap plastic tbar so hard I actually broke it off. (I am a small girl & was actually able to literally break a pc off of a Jeep.)
The problem ended up being the linkage wasn't catching. No matter what it was not going to shift back to 4WD.

Be very careful not to break the tbar. Tow it to someone who can fix it.

This is my 3rd Jeep. The others were WJs. I will do anything to get another one of those. Once fixed you'd probably be better off selling it as fast as possible. Before the next thing inevitably goes wrong. Never had a bigger piece of crap than this vehicle.

dr.lee.baugh 10-04-2013 10:52 AM

To balance out the world - I wouldn't put too much faith in the above poster's experience.

Many people (including myself) are running well past the 150,000 mile point with their vehicles and have done little more than routine maintenance.

I certainly wouldn't recommend selling it as soon as you can based on a random poster's experience.

One thing that you do see more commonly with these are an overall neglect of proper servicing, as people fail to realize a 4WD/AWD system has many more maintenance requirements than your typical 2WD...all that added ability comes with a price. If not taken care of, you have many more parts that can (and do) fail. Bottom line, if you follow the maintenance schedules and take care of problems as they arise, the WK is about middle of the road in reliability.

To get back to your question. You shift procedure should work. You have an easier time shifting into low if the vehicle is rolling slowly (allows better synchro of the gears), but it should shift in neutral as well (it may just take a couple of attempts). If you do not follow the proper shift procedure, the EVIC will tell you. Usually, that error message when trying to engage or disengage 4WD low is a result of problems with the shift actuator (the motor attached to the transfer case that engages and disengages low range). It may have damage internally or to the wiring. A standard code reader will not pull those types of codes, as they are manufacturer specific.

Unfortunately, without either starting to throw parts at it or getting out a multimeter and checking voltages, you are probably best to take it to a place that can pull that code and give you some direction as to what may be wrong.

As an aside, the above poster should look into the TSB related to the erroneous Service 4WD message. This was a known issue on the 2005s, and is solved by a simple software flashing (~$80) at your dealer. Not saying that's their problem, but it sure sounds like it (http://www.wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk_2101406a.pdf)

johngreen1234 10-09-2013 09:58 AM

Did you buy this car from a dealrship? If so, they likely did the N23 recall flash. If the flash is done improperly--specifically, they fail to clear a code THREE times--then the result is that 4LO is locked out.

LOUDUH13 10-09-2013 10:48 AM

Thank you for the reply. I bought it from a used car lot - not a Jeep lot. I will be looking into the Flash. I have a copy of the S/B about this mopdel year and will take it to a Jeep dealship. Thanks for your time.

LOUDUH13 10-09-2013 10:51 AM

THank you very much for the post and the ideas. I will be taking it to a deealership to have a flash performed.

johngreen1234 10-09-2013 11:03 AM

No. Do NOT have the flash done. Find out if the flash has ALREADY been done on your car. If so, this is possibly the cause of your issue.

The N23 recall corrects a possible situation where the car is idling in P and slips into neutral. Because of the remote start, it is possible for the car to roll away on its own, a potential safety hazard.

If you set your parking brake, and/or never leave the car to idle on its own, there is no hazard. And if the N23 recall is done improperly it will lock out 4lo and possibly fry your actuator.

This may not be your issue at all, and the N23 recall may not apply to your model year. But if I suddenly couldn't get into 4lo and there was no obvious mechanical issue, I would investigate the recall.

Good luck!

dr.lee.baugh 10-09-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johngreen1234 (Post 907085)
No. Do NOT have the flash done. Find out if the flash has ALREADY been done on your car. If so, this is possibly the cause of your issue.

The N23 recall corrects a possible situation where the car is idling in P and slips into neutral. Because of the remote start, it is possible for the car to roll away on its own, a potential safety hazard.

If you set your parking brake, and/or never leave the car to idle on its own, there is no hazard. And if the N23 recall is done improperly it will lock out 4lo and possibly fry your actuator.

This may not be your issue at all, and the N23 recall may not apply to your model year. But if I suddenly couldn't get into 4lo and there was no obvious mechanical issue, I would investigate the recall.

Good luck!

Do you have any facts to back that up? The recall is merely updated software programming. I don't see how it could fry the actuator and/or lock out 4-low :confused:. That's akin to saying installing that new version of windows will kill your power supply and break your power switch...unless they try installing it with a hammer, having the recall performed isn't going to harm anything.

I agree, the newest recall on the transfer case isn't going to solve the OPs problem, but it's not going to cause further problems either...

johngreen1234 10-09-2013 04:16 PM

Once again, I have no direct experience, I am referencing an active thread on another "jeep Forum". It is not my intent to forum spam on behalf of a different, competing forum. However, if someone is interested enough to google it, they will find a fairly convincing number of posts regarding this.

Convincing enough that I refused to allow the dealer to apply this flash on my last service, and made them sign off on the work order that they wouldn't.

dr.lee.baugh 10-09-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johngreen1234 (Post 907338)
Once again, I have no direct experience, I am referencing an active thread on another "jeep Forum". It is not my intent to forum spam on behalf of a different, competing forum. However, if someone is interested enough to google it, they will find a fairly convincing number of posts regarding this.

Convincing enough that I refused to allow the dealer to apply this flash on my last service, and made them sign off on the work order that they wouldn't.

Cool :cool:. I just wasn't sure if you had some "inside" knowledge or something.

I've heard of the flash going wrong for others as well. It did not cause any problems for me.

Kreso 11-29-2013 06:24 PM

It caused problem for me. And the problem is not solved yet. Namely, after FLASH the update, 4Lo was disabled. Not immediately but few days latter. Dealer clear the F140f msg and all was OK for another day them msg came back. After that they replace the actuator motor and problem did not show up for 10 days. New appointment is 9, Dec.

xjokee 04-14-2014 12:45 AM

Hi ya'll. This is my first posting on this message board. I'm usually lurking on the 'Jeep Forum' but had to check this one out. 'Nuff said, that N23 recall disaster thread is still alive and well over there and there are plenty of folks real upset that their Jeeps can't be flat towed in neutral and have lost 4wd low. I bought a gorgeous Black '09 limited for my daughter last month and it displayed 'Service 4wd' on the EVIC. I had the dealer re-flash and they replaced a faulty actuator too. There is Jeeps own written STAR report evidence that the N23 and faulty actuators go hand-in-hand but the fix is still elusive. The re-flashes in most cases have NOT worked for more than a few days or maybe weeks. If you don't believe me, go over there and do a search in the WK section for N23. Pretty sad stuff.