Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   quick question for the wk2 srt guys running 22's. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/quick-question-for-the-wk2-srt-guys-running-22s-66142.html)

RockstarSRT 10-01-2013 01:03 PM

quick question for the wk2 srt guys running 22's.

Curious if anyone has any complaints about maneuverability or ride quality with the larger rims and low pro tire side walls. I know they look fantastic, but, I'm curious if performance in cornering at speed or driving similar to like a slalom course becomes impossible -or at the very least, a bad idea. Sorry if this has been asked and answered already on here and thanks in advance for your response.

P-Dawger 10-01-2013 03:24 PM

Re: quick question for the wk2 srt guys running 22's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockstarSRT (Post 902438)
Curious if anyone has any complaints about maneuverability or ride quality with the larger rims and low pro tire side walls. I know they look fantastic, but, I'm curious if performance in cornering at speed or driving similar to like a slalom course becomes impossible -or at the very least, a bad idea. Sorry if this has been asked and answered already on here and thanks in advance for your response.

22's are like ankle irons for your ride...it will affect every aspect of performance, as it is adding unsprung weight.

Your current OEM rims are forged which allows them to be much, much, much lighter than cast. Put them on a scale and then use this basic formula..

1lb of rotational mass equals about 10lbs added to the vehicle.

Looks are one thing- performance is another...not to mention all that added weight wears out your suspension components, much much quicker

Scottina06 10-01-2013 03:44 PM

Ive never weighed them...but there was a report that the 22" cast replicas are lighter than the oem forged. There are pics of the 20" replicas being lighter than than the gen1 forged wheels. No idea.....but if you want a little proof that 22's don't affect performance...take a look at my 0-60 thread from yesterday. I have 22x10 replicas on 285-35-22 nitto 420s tires. 0-60 in 3.9 seconds. Does that sound like they've affected straight line performance. The oem runflats have very stiff sidewalls which affect handling IMHO. I feel more confident in my 22's with the nittos than I did with the oem Pirellis. All fo this is my opinion.....just like the above post.

14StormTrooper 10-01-2013 06:11 PM

I run 4.1-4.2 0-60 with 22s. It didn't affect me at all

RockstarSRT 10-01-2013 09:04 PM

Thanks, guys. I've never gone any bigger than 20's, which were on my 10', and wasn't sure what effect the increase would have on handling. I'm admittedly kind of an asshole at times on the highway, in and out of traffic. wasn't sure the bigger wheels would handle that action well or not lol.. also, a little nervous with the roads around Boston, because they are trashed. I'm likely only going to run them seasonally. Do you think a 305/35/22 is the way to go for that?

Scottina06 10-01-2013 10:57 PM

those are fine...or 285 35 and 285 40

joeysrt 10-02-2013 08:02 AM

What made you go with that tire size Scott and are they all season
If not what do you do for the winter
Thanks

Scottina06 10-02-2013 09:41 AM

yes...they are all season....that's the reason I went with that size and tire. I wanted 305 35 but there were no all season available at the time in that size

boss.man 10-02-2013 02:21 PM

granted that acceleration depends on a lot of things, weather, how hard you drove it before the run etc etc etc, I've had 4.3 sec times on my 20's, something that I am yet to replicate with my 22's, maybe with a Bwoody 4" CAI and some minor upgrades (ported TB, hopefully a tune when/if it ever comes out) I can get it back to sub 4.5 sec, but so far, I'm pretty sure my rims have affected my performance, and I'm running FR 22x10 with Nitto 420S 285 40 22, my 4.3 time was during cooler weather, its been above 100f all summer, its cooling down now, I'll get back to testing my 0-60 times

Niva 10-02-2013 10:43 PM

Maneuverability will suffer. Even if those rims are indeed lighter, which I seriously doubt because the SRT wheels are known for how well they're made and their mass, the actual mass distribution is going to be farther away from the center of rotation. This will affect your maneuverability, how much is questionable and will depend on the actual wheels you go with.

Straight line acceleration and speed will probably not be impacted at all.

P-Dawger 10-03-2013 04:20 PM

Weight is weight and HP is horsepower, they are numbers and calculations which don't lie, and never will.

There is no way a 5150lb vehicle with 470 hp is getting 3.9 0-60 times.

A true, no bs vehicle that is 3.9/0-60 is the Cadillac CTS-V 4220lb/556hp

Another true, no bs 3.9 vehicle is the Mercedes Benz C63 AMG 507 3649/507hp

Unless your Jeep gained 194hp with an intake, exhaust and tune...it's just make believe. That is the hp(664) required to move a 5150lb vehicle to 60.

Numbers and facts don't lie. The bold claim that replica 22 inch rims weigh less than forged 20 inch rims...another fantasy.

Study up on the forged vs. cast and weight. Also pay attention to unsprung weight and what it does to a car and performance -

The rule of thumb is for each lb of unsprung weight you gain/shave is equal to about 4 times the sprung weight amount reduced.

Lets say you drop/add 40 lbs in unsprung weight via wheels, rotors, etc; it would be the equivalent of taking 160 lbs out/adding to your car (sprung) like an imaginary passenger that was sitting there the whole time.

It effects performance - on all fronts, don't be fooled. If you are into looks vs performance - go for it.

14StormTrooper 10-03-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P-Dawger (Post 903653)
Weight is weight and HP is horsepower, they are numbers and calculations which don't lie, and never will. There is no way a 5150lb vehicle with 470 hp is getting 3.9 0-60 times. A true, no bs vehicle that is 3.9/0-60 is the Cadillac CTS-V 4220lb/556hp Another true, no bs 3.9 vehicle is the Mercedes Benz C63 AMG 507 3649/507hp Unless your Jeep gained 194hp with an intake, exhaust and tune...it's just make believe. That is the hp(664) required to move a 5150lb vehicle to 60. Numbers and facts don't lie. The bold claim that replica 22 inch rims weigh less than forged 20 inch rims...another fantasy. Study up on the forged vs. cast and weight. Also pay attention to unsprung weight and what it does to a car and performance - The rule of thumb is for each lb of unsprung weight you gain/shave is equal to about 4 times the sprung weight amount reduced. Lets say you drop/add 40 lbs in unsprung weight via wheels, rotors, etc; it would be the equivalent of taking 160 lbs out/adding to your car (sprung) like an imaginary passenger that was sitting there the whole time. It effects performance - on all fronts, don't be fooled. If you are into looks vs performance - go for it.

Negative sir, these are running 0-60 times that low.