Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f186/)
-   -   Lockpick versions 4 and 5 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f186/lockpick-versions-4-and-5-a-66190.html)

josepperez01 10-02-2013 03:40 PM

Lockpick versions 4 and 5

Could you believe that a Chrysler-Jeep technician didn't know what a Lockpick is? I went to the dealership to install my brand new RER 430 Navigation system MYGig and I gave him the instructions manual with the hardware of my lockpick version 5 to be installed in my Jeep with the new Nav system. $300 later I found out that he only installed MyGig and that he was not able to install the lockpick because he didn't know the purpose of it. I told him the the instruction manual specifies where it goes and it will be at to me to make it work. By the way there's no difference between the two versions. The difference are only in the price. One cost $250 and the other $285. :)

dr.lee.baugh 10-02-2013 07:28 PM

Why would a Chrysler technician know what an aftermarket device that circumvents Chrysler safety technology is and/or know how to install it? Even if they knew what it was, they may not be allowed to install it, as it allows for in motion viewing of video from the drivers seat, which is illegal in most (if not all) states.

There are literally thousands of things people can add to their vehicle once they get it, and it would be crazy to expect them to know them all.

josepperez01 10-03-2013 08:38 AM

Re: Lockpick versions 4 and 5

I should agree with you, in that case the service manager should have told me that it's Chrysler policy (if there's one) no to install in their own vehicle devices that have not been manufacturer by them or it's subsidiaries such Mopar. The bottom line is that he did not say anything at all, accepted the job and rather than installed the whole unit (MyGig and Locpick) installed MyGig only. MyGig works fine but I can used my backup camera because he did not installed the lockpick. I guess I should go to an outsider to do the job.

Billyb.cpt 10-03-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josepperez01 (Post 903424)
I should agree with you, in that case the service manager should have told me that it's Chrysler policy (if there's one) no to install in their own vehicle devices that have not been manufacturer by them or it's subsidiaries such Mopar. The bottom line is that he did not say anything at all, accepted the job and rather than installed the whole unit (MyGig and Locpick) installed MyGig only. MyGig works fine but I can used my backup camera because he did not installed the lockpick. I guess I should go to an outsider to do the job.

Ummm how about you do it yourself? It's a 15-20 min job. You wasted $300 to get someone else to install it. It's super easy

Billyb.cpt 10-03-2013 10:08 AM

Check out my install thread on here. Just type Mygig 2005 installed in the search field.

dr.lee.baugh 10-03-2013 01:18 PM

Re: Lockpick versions 4 and 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by josepperez01 (Post 903424)

I agree with you 100% (and didn't mean to come of as harsh as I did when re-reading it!) - If they didn't want to install it or if they couldn't install it, they should have let you know before doing the work. Absolutely.

I don't know whether there is a policy in place or not. I just thought it was a little too much to expect them to be able and willing to install whatever you may find on the internet.