Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Timing Belt Seal Cover Issue - 5-Star Dealer Fail (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/timing-belt-seal-cover-issue-5-star-dealer-fail-66200.html)

Sullivan4109 10-02-2013 08:21 PM

Timing Belt Seal Cover Issue - 5-Star Dealer Fail

Discouraging is not the word for the recent misfortune with my 2011 JGC. In April of this year I bought my third Jeep as my family grew by one and we needed the room. I did my research and found a Laredo X that had everything I was looking for. After striking a deal with the 5-star dealer (Brigham Gill in Natick, MA) and before taking possession of the vehicle the drivers side headlight and passenger side mirror cover were cracked. I was able to prove to the dealership that the headlight was not in that condition when we signed the paperwork so they agreed to replace the headlight, i was not so fortunate with the mirror cover. Maybe I should have run then.

Shortly after owning the vehicle I noticed oil seeping onto the front of the engine. I noted this to my dealership and they agreed it was a problem and after completing my oil change added a dye to the oil so they could track the leak at my next visit. My next visit came and went and no oil. Good. Another 1K miles and the oil reappeared. I brought the Jeep back and was told that a couple of bolts on the timing belt seal cover were loose by a 1/2 turn; the bolts were tighten and the engine was cleaned. Another 1k miles later the oil was back. This time I was informed that the timing belt seal cover needed to be replaced. Brigham Gill did the service under warranty and I was on my way.

1K miles after the timing belt seal was replaced the oil reappeared. Learning my lesson I went to a different 5-star Jeep dealer (Central Jeep in Norwood, MA) for the warranty work. My first visit to Central proved to be a waste of time as they simply confirmed what I had suspected, there was a problem and it was going to take a day to repair it. I scheduled another visit to Central Jeep to have the timing belt seal cover replaced (again). During my second visit I dropped off the Jeep for the day to have the work done. I received a call a few hours after dropping the Jeep off only to find out that Central would not do the work because Brigham Gill had not only not done the work correctly the first time but they had damaged other components in the process. Central Jeep told me that the front axle may need to be removed to repair some of the poor workmanship (?).

After talking with the service desk rep and his supervisor I decided to call Chrysler's corporate office. After escalating my call to a supervisor at Chrysler I was again informed that I needed to bring my vehicle back to the first dealer, the one that has continually messed up, to have the repair work done. When I told them I was not satisfied with that resolution I was told I could ask Central Jeep to do the work on my dime. No thanks.

So here I am, waiting to schedule another appointment with Brigham Gill to re-troubleshoot an issue that they have now failed to resolve multiple times. Am I truly a glutton for punishment or is this just how it has to be?

xJoshxx 10-02-2013 09:58 PM

Re: Timing Belt Seal Cover Issue - 5-Star Dealer Fail

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sullivan4109 (Post 903232)
Discouraging is not the word for the recent misfortune with my 2011 JGC. In April of this year I bought my third Jeep as my family grew by one and we needed the room. I did my research and found a Laredo X that had everything I was looking for. After striking a deal with the 5-star dealer (Brigham Gill in Natick, MA) and before taking possession of the vehicle the drivers side headlight and passenger side mirror cover were cracked. I was able to prove to the dealership that the headlight was not in that condition when we signed the paperwork so they agreed to replace the headlight, i was not so fortunate with the mirror cover. Maybe I should have run then.

Shortly after owning the vehicle I noticed oil seeping onto the front of the engine. I noted this to my dealership and they agreed it was a problem and after completing my oil change added a dye to the oil so they could track the leak at my next visit. My next visit came and went and no oil. Good. Another 1K miles and the oil reappeared. I brought the Jeep back and was told that a couple of bolts on the timing belt seal cover were loose by a 1/2 turn; the bolts were tighten and the engine was cleaned. Another 1k miles later the oil was back. This time I was informed that the timing belt seal cover needed to be replaced. Brigham Gill did the service under warranty and I was on my way.

1K miles after the timing belt seal was replaced the oil reappeared. Learning my lesson I went to a different 5-star Jeep dealer (Central Jeep in Norwood, MA) for the warranty work. My first visit to Central proved to be a waste of time as they simply confirmed what I had suspected, there was a problem and it was going to take a day to repair it. I scheduled another visit to Central Jeep to have the timing belt seal cover replaced (again). During my second visit I dropped off the Jeep for the day to have the work done. I received a call a few hours after dropping the Jeep off only to find out that Central would not do the work because Brigham Gill had not only not done the work correctly the first time but they had damaged other components in the process. Central Jeep told me that the front axle may need to be removed to repair some of the poor workmanship (?).

After talking with the service desk rep and his supervisor I decided to call Chrysler's corporate office. After escalating my call to a supervisor at Chrysler I was again informed that I needed to bring my vehicle back to the first dealer, the one that has continually messed up, to have the repair work done. When I told them I was not satisfied with that resolution I was told I could ask Central Jeep to do the work on my dime. No thanks.

So here I am, waiting to schedule another appointment with Brigham Gill to re-troubleshoot an issue that they have now failed to resolve multiple times. Am I truly a glutton for punishment or is this just how it has to be?

Confused by this there is no Timing belt on the any of the wk2 motors?

Sullivan4109 10-03-2013 08:00 PM

Re: Timing Belt Seal Cover Issue - 5-Star Dealer Fail

Hey xJoshxx,

Thanks for the reply. The paperwork I received states "gasket, timing chain or belt case/cover". The service rep continually said "timing belt cover seal". I could be mistaken but that's the information I was given. Regardless, I just want it fixed.