Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Is it possible to lock the center diff? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/is-it-possible-to-lock-the-center-diff-66201.html)

MSCA 10-02-2013 08:53 PM

Is it possible to lock the center diff?

Which mode locks the center diff on the Selec-Terrain system? From reading up on the system, it seems that "snow" mode probably doesn't lock the center diff, but what about "sand" or "mud"? Does anyone know?

mswlogo 10-02-2013 10:02 PM

Re: Is it possible to lock the center diff?

I believe 4-Lo will lock it. Otherwise it's under software control.

Scottina06 10-02-2013 10:06 PM

look here

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/lockin...ial-14906.html

xJoshxx 10-02-2013 10:06 PM

Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 - Transfer cases all you seek is located here

MSCA 10-02-2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xJoshxx (Post 903307)
Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 - Transfer cases all you seek is located here

Can't find anything about the Terrain response settings in that link. And that's my main question--now that the GC comes with these different terrain buttons, how do we know when the center diff is locked or if it can even be locked at all?

MSCA 10-02-2013 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 903306)

That thread is from three years ago. The buttons on the Terrain system have changed, as has the transmission. Does sand mode lock the center diff? How about mud mode? Snow?

When I was watching the official Jeep video on the Terrain system, they mentioned that binding could occur in sand or mud modes, which leads me to believe that the center diff is locked in those modes. They made no such mention of snow mode, which makes me wonder if the center diff is locked at all in snow mode. That's why I'm asking.

Scottina06 10-02-2013 11:51 PM

it all works the same as it did in 2011. They swapped to an 8 speed tranny...that's it

greenwayer 10-03-2013 12:07 AM

Only 4wd lo locks the driveshafts. Mud/sand and rock are just settings for suspension height and torque distribution.

bill_de 10-03-2013 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSCA (Post 903315)
That thread is from three years ago. The buttons on the Terrain system have changed, as has the transmission. Does sand mode lock the center diff? How about mud mode? Snow?

When I was watching the official Jeep video on the Terrain system, they mentioned that binding could occur in sand or mud modes, which leads me to believe that the center diff is locked in those modes. They made no such mention of snow mode, which makes me wonder if the center diff is locked at all in snow mode. That's why I'm asking.

Have you tried contacting Jeep? Somebody there should be able to give you the answer you are looking for.

---

webspoke 10-03-2013 08:19 AM

The rock and sand settings do lock the center diff. I have driven back onto hardpack in those modes and noticed the binding while making tight turns. Snow does not.

mswlogo 10-03-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenwayer (Post 903337)
Only 4wd lo locks the driveshafts. Mud/sand and rock are just settings for suspension height and torque distribution.

I suspect it does a lot more than that. Webspoke is one example.

It makes sense to have these settings. For example in Sand it's Ok to let the wheels spin (paddle) more because all 4 wheels typically have some traction. Where on Rock if a wheel is spinning it's probably in the Air and you'd want the ABS to pulse that slipping wheel more aggressively.

AZhiCntry 10-03-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webspoke (Post 903418)
The rock and sand settings do lock the center diff. I have driven back onto hardpack in those modes and noticed the binding while making tight turns. Snow does not.

You were in 4 low correct???????????