Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2011+ Dodge Durango-WD (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f177/)
-   -   Checked wheel lug nut torque for 130 ft lbs (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f177/checked-wheel-lug-nut-torque-for-130-ft-lbs-66215.html)

vertrkr 10-03-2013 08:55 AM

Checked wheel lug nut torque for 130 ft lbs

130 ft lbs is the highest I've ever seen for a wheel but that's what the manual says the spec is. I think the previous models were 120 ft lbs. Checking them all, I found about half were a hair low and needed about a quarter of a turn.

jeffreybehr 10-03-2013 12:50 PM

Re: Checked wheel lug nut torque for 130 ft lbs

Quote:

Originally Posted by vertrkr (Post 903433)
130 ft lbs is the highest I've ever seen for a wheel but that's what the manual says the spec is. I think the previous models were 120 ft lbs. Checking them all, I found about half were a hair low and needed about a quarter of a turn.

My '13 Limited's manual, and Discount Tire Direct, both indicate 110 footpounds.

---------------------------------------

Oops...just noticed your note is in the Durango forum. Mine's a Jeep.

1973Commando 10-20-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vertrkr (Post 903433)

OK, I have a theory about this Lug Nut Torque.
According to the WTC (Wheel and Tire Council) the torque Should be 95 ft/lbs or about 130 N-M. I think someone at fiat said the torque should be 130 and meant N-M and our Detroit People thought this was Ft/LBS. So instead of lowering the torque to 95 ft/lbs the manual raised the Torque to 130Ft/lbs or 176 N-M.

vertrkr 10-20-2013 10:16 AM

Crap, I'm not sure what to think. That's a good theory though, NASA made that unit mistake and lost the Mars Climate Orbiter mission for pete's sake. For the Durango the 2nd edition User Guide says 110 but the 3rd edition Owner manual says 130. Both are the latest edition Chrysler offers currently. This sort of thing keeps me up at night. :confused:

I sent Chrysler customer service an email detailing this issue asking them to research with engineering for the true spec. Never gonna happen but worth a shot.

UPDATE: Milous stated in another thread the Factory Service Manual says 100 ft*lbs +/- 15

vertrkr 10-21-2013 06:18 PM

Customer service emailed me back with the same info Milous posted. They said the Service Manual specs it as 100 15 Ft. Lbs.

1973Commando 03-23-2014 02:12 PM

I just got some new tools. I got a new 3 ton jack; I lift from my Rocky Road Rock rails. After Chocking front and rear wheels on the opposite side and applying the Parking Brake I jack up the entire side from the center of my Rock Rails. I can only recommend this with the rocky road outfitters rock rails (installed correctly) and not other brands. I do not believe Rocky Road has said, in writing, they approve of this. I only know when I did it it worked great. Also, someone besides me damaged the under carriage by lifting in the wrong place. (Photos on a jacking thread somewhere.) No damage occurred with my jack. (Harbor freight 3 ton aluminum). I positioned the jack so the rail contacted only the rubber part of the pad. I will post photos on the Jack Point thread.

I use an impact wrench with torque sticks. I use the 110 ft/lbs stick. I compared the applied torque with a hand held torque wrench. They were very close. With the impact wrench and the torque sticks I count "one one-thousand, two one-thousand" to make sure the torque is correct. I need to set the impact wrench to maximum with the Torque stick for the proper torque. MY testing shows when using a torque stick it is impossible to torque higher than the stated torque on the stick. (Torque sticks also purchased from Harbor Freight.)

I always start the nut by hand(this avoids cross threading); I think I will hand tighten the first two assuring the rim is on the centering ring correctly before using the impact wrench /w Torque stick. (I have custom wheels with plastic centering rings.) I use the Torque stick for removing as well in case I have the setting not on reverse by accident.

I hope someone finds this information useful.

Also, the reason for all this is I just got my first flat tire at 8,500 miles.