Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   No MudFlaps? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/no-mudflaps-66237.html)

WATacoRider 10-03-2013 06:29 PM

No MudFlaps?

I've owned my JGC for about 20hrs now, but I just realized, there's no mudflaps or guards on these vehicle.

I thought they were required by law. Or is that just for pickup trucks?

AZhiCntry 10-03-2013 07:03 PM

Re: No MudFlaps?

Quote:

Originally Posted by WATacoRider (Post 903754)
I've owned my JGC for about 20hrs now, but I just realized, there's no mudflaps or guards on these vehicle.

I thought they were required by law. Or is that just for pickup trucks?

IDT they are required by law. They are not standard on any trim model but are a dealer/user installed item. Mopar/Jeep mud flaps are available on Amazon for around $65 frt & rr set. U can install or have dealer do it.

Hammerhead 10-04-2013 08:15 AM

For passenger vehicles, mud flaps/splash guards are only required in some (all?) states if your tires extend out past the body of the vehicle.

AAAA 10-04-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammerhead (Post 904001)
For passenger vehicles, mud flaps/splash guards are only required in some (all?) states if your tires extend out past the body of the vehicle.

Didn't know that. Must be the mud flap lobby.;)

Bborzell 10-04-2013 09:21 AM

I just avoid mud.:cool:

kkreit01 10-04-2013 02:35 PM

I've owned many vehicles, and none came with them. The Mopar ones are really an eyesore on the WK2s IMO. I had them for about a year, and then yanked them off. If I had to drive gravel often, I would of course leave them on. My Ram doesn't have them either.

AZhiCntry 10-04-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkreit01 (Post 904165)
I've owned many vehicles, and none came with them. The Mopar ones are really an eyesore on the WK2s IMO. I had them for about a year, and then yanked them off. If I had to drive gravel often, I would of course leave them on. My Ram doesn't have them either.

The rears look fine to me. The fronts are too long so I shortened mine 1.5" and they function just fine and look much better!:thumbsup: Too many gravel roads and parking lots around here to not have them.

WATacoRider 10-04-2013 10:22 PM

Just order front and rear Jeep flaps. Hopefully install isn't too much of a pain.

gaidin43 10-11-2013 10:16 AM

Can you post some pictures of your flaps? If be interested in how they look shortened and how you did it.

berk483 10-11-2013 10:28 AM

If you look at the pics on my profile I have some with the flaps. Mine are normal length and don't have any issues.

lstowell 10-11-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZhiCntry (Post 904168)
The rears look fine to me. The fronts are too long so I shortened mine 1.5" and they function just fine and look much better!:thumbsup: Too many gravel roads and parking lots around here to not have them.

How'd ya shorten the fronts? I've been considering a Dremel, but first being a devout coward, was thinking of buying another set just in case I mess it up.

AZhiCntry 10-11-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lstowell (Post 908759)
How'd ya shorten the fronts? I've been considering a Dremel, but first being a devout coward, was thinking of buying another set just in case I mess it up.

I measured up in the center 1 3/8ths in. and taped off with masking tape to use as a cutting guide following the original contour. I used a drywall knife with a new blade to make the cut and touched up the corners with a fine file. They do not look altered - looks like stock only shorter.:thumbsup: The new length is about the same as the rears. Was off road a few days ago on some moderately rocky 4wd forest service roads and had no issues. OR1 and ORII in the sections with larger rocks. I will try to post a pic when wife gets home with the veh.