Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Oil dip stick (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/oil-dip-stick-66245.html)

2014 summit 10-03-2013 11:22 PM

Oil dip stick

Okay, not sure if anyone has brought up this topic since I'm new. I like to change my own oil because I am very particular. I put in 7 qts used the correct size oil filter.

A couple of days had gone by and I decided to check the oil dip stick to see how things looked. Crap,:eek: it was 1 qt low and I swore I put 7 qts in. So I added 1 more qt because the dip stick showed 1 qt low. Only put 500 more miles on her before I changed the oil again.

This time I made a special note to make sure I did indeed put 7 qts of oil in. Same type of filter and I'll be damed:mad: if the dip stick showed 1 qt low.

So I called the dealer and told them about the issue and I asked them which one is right, the manual or the dip stick. I don't want to run the engine a qt low and I don't want to over fill it by one qt. They told me just put in 7 qts. I did have them confirm I had the correct dip stick and they wanted to check the oil for themselves.

I let Jeep customer service know about the issue. It might be a smart idea to put a dip stick the reads correctly. I'm 57 and have had over 40 new cars and have always changed the oil myself and this is the first time I have ever seen an issue like this.:confused:

Has anyone else had this problem, would like to know what you did if anything.

TurboRush 10-04-2013 07:32 AM

Re: Oil dip stick

Here is another discussion on the issue: http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/wk2-h...nge-56828.html. It quickly turns to a synth vs. dino oil, but your experience seems to be the same as most are adding about 7.5 to 7.6 quarts and what I took away from it and what I do is, just don't over fill it.

Personally, I am not comfortable running at the "add" line... even being halfway between add and full makes me feel a lot better.

2014 LAREDO 10-04-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2014 summit (Post 903899)
Only put 500 more miles on her before I changed the oil again.

With todays technology there is no need to change the oil after 500 miles or even after 5000 . :confused:

Peter_K 10-04-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2014 LAREDO (Post 904208)
With todays technology there is no need to change the oil after 500 miles or even after 5000 . :confused:

It isn't the oil itself people are concerned about when they change it during the early initial miles on the vehicle. It's the initial wear particles in it, which are inevitable. I've never seen much of a point to it: most of any consequence are caught by the filter, but it makes some feel more at ease and it certainly doesn't hurt.

2014 LAREDO 10-04-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_K (Post 904215)
It isn't the oil itself people are concerned about when they change it during the early initial miles on the vehicle. It's the initial wear particles in it, which are inevitable. I've never seen much of a point to it: most of any consequence are caught by the filter, but it makes some feel more at ease and it certainly doesn't hurt.

It hurts the enviroment. :(

mswlogo 10-04-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_K (Post 904215)

It actually can hurt if their are special break in additives in the factory oil fill. I would NEVER remove factory fill in less than 5000 miles on any car.

It "can't hurt" to leave it for at least half the recommended interval.

Peter_K 10-04-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mswlogo (Post 904359)
It actually can hurt if their are special break in additives in the factory oil fill. I would NEVER remove factory fill in less than 5000 miles on any car. It "can't hurt" to leave it for at least half the recommended interval.

Break-in additives are actually not that common in modern production vehicles -- cars and light duty trucks. This is a misconception/myth that really just refuses to die. A lot of it seems to stem from an odd "appearance" to the oil at the first oil change (odd muted color such as green swirled in and so forth). What you're usually seeing is assembly lube which has mixed with the oil after the engine has been running -- not a special break-in formulation. Most factory fills are simply the recommended and specified engine oil.

bill_de 10-04-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_K (Post 904364)
Break-in additives are actually not that common in modern production vehicles -- cars and light duty trucks. This is a misconception/myth that really just refuses to die. A lot of it seems to stem from an odd "appearance" to the oil at the first oil change (odd muted color such as green swirled in and so forth). What you're usually seeing is assembly lube which has mixed with the oil after the engine has been running -- not a special break-in formulation. Most factory fills are simply the recommended and specified engine oil.

They may be coming back. The manual for my 2011 MDX had all sorts of warnings about leaving the factory oil in until the EVIC called for it to be changed. I don't think it is the same additives used years ago.

---

Peter_K 10-04-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 904367)
They may be coming back. The manual for my 2011 MDX had all sorts of warnings about leaving the factory oil in until the EVIC called for it to be changed. I don't think it is the same additives used years ago. ---

Honda is indeed an exception -- they've fiddled with break-in additives (usually a moly formulation) for years while other manufacturers have dropped them (or never used them). So I wouldn't say they're "coming back"...

jacko15 10-04-2013 10:23 PM

Machined parts are held to much greater tolerances these days. Because of this "break-in" sludge is minimized. The metal in today's 5,000 mile oil is much less than in 5,000 mile oil from years ago. I'd go by the OLM, but I get two free changes a year minimum, so I'll probably do in sooner. I usually only put 5 to 7 thousand miles a year on the odo.

2014 LAREDO 10-05-2013 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 904367)
They may be coming back. The manual for my 2011 MDX had all sorts of warnings about leaving the factory oil in until the EVIC called for it to be changed. I don't think it is the same additives used years ago.

---

Ha.........so if you change your oil to early you could actually void your warranty with the MDX.
With the Jeep it says no where in the owners manual about changing the oil early to flush out metal particles. For some reason lots of people think this is necessary even though the manufacture doesn't suggest it. If something happens to my motor because of metal particles then thats a warranty issue that Jeep will have to cover as long as I'm doing the changes at their suggested intervals I'm all set. No need for me to have to worry about it, waste time, money and the enviroment trying to flush out metal particles when its not called for. Why some people feel the need to do this is beyond me. :confused:

ExcursionDiesel 10-05-2013 12:53 AM

There are valid reasons for break in oil changes. They aren't typically necessary with today's motors. Most high performance engine builders recommend it. Mass produced auto engines will make it well past the warranty with no premature signs of wear. Current environmental concerns combined with better oil technology have extended oil drain intervals significantly. An earlier initial oil change and more frequent interval may make a difference for those expecting over 250k miles from their engine. If you trade every 4 or 5 years, its not a concern.

bd