Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Forward 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock visibility

6K views 45 replies 26 participants last post by  Overland1 
#1 · (Edited)
I saw that video on TV recently of the police chief hitting a pedestrian while driving what appeared to be a WK2 and immediately thought about my own JGC.
Now, don't get me wrong. ..I freakin love my GC, but I've had a couple of incidents where I didn't see things that were blocked by the thick "A" pillars combined with the placement of the side view mirrors
Maybe it's just me...This is a new vehicle and maybe it takes some getting used to....but I was wondering if any of you guys found the same thing.

#41 ·
Now that was mentioned my sight line is over the mirror so is just the A pillar and am sitting far enough back that just leaning forward clears the area I can't see (more in the forward quadrant than to the side). This is usually when approaching a blind and sharp left turn so am generally going slowly anyway.

Am 5'10" but can see where someone height impaired could have a real problem. Have noticed that some smaller people tend to prefer larger vehicles.

#45 ·
To me, the left side is the worst. If I am making a left turn, I really need to pay attention not to run over the curb or the car stopped in the street I am turning in waiting to make left.

The huge side view mirror and the speaker location causes the block. :( I am thinking if installing a front camera and lockpic so I can use that to scan before making turns. LOL.

Cheers,
-A

#46 ·
Those A-pillars take some time to become accustomed to, but I have noticed the visibility is already better there (as well as around the rest of the WK2) than that on my previous 2009 WK.

Shortly after getting the new WK2 (less than two months ago :) ), I took it to a nearby empty parking lot to do some "airwork", various maneuvers (camera display covered when backing) to see what the visibility limits and handling were like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.