Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

stripped bolt threads

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  bill_de 
#1 ·
I have a problem...few month ago I installed a throttle body spacer in my Jeep. Today I removed the throttle body spacer since it didn't give me any performance improvements. When I took the aftermarket bolts out which came with the Airaid throttle body spacer kit I noticed that two bolts stripped the threads inside and 2 of the original jeep screws don't tighten anymore. How do I fix this????:confused:

#2 ·
Re: stripped bold threats

You will probably have to run an appropriate tap in there to clean up the threads. Work slow, backing the tap out often to clean any shavings. If you have gone as far as you can with the tap and the screws still don't tighten, you may have to grind the tip of the tap off, to the point where the taper ends.

---

#3 ·

If the threads are totally stripped then there are basically three choices. First try re-threading the hole to the bottom using a bottom tap. A longer bolt might have to be used to grab the new threads made at the bottom of the hole. Before you do this put a rag in the body hole to prevent any debris from getting into the throttle body opening. If this doesn't work then you can drill and oversize the hole to the next thread size larger. Or finally use a helicoil thread repair kit to put in a new thread insert. Remember not to overtighten the bolts again or you will have to do it all over again. ;)

#4 ·

If the threads are totally stripped then there are basically three choices. First try re-threading the hole to the bottom using a bottom tap. A longer bolt might have to be used to grab the new threads made at the bottom of the hole. Before you do this put a rag in the body hole to prevent any debris from getting into the throttle body opening. If this doesn't work then you can drill and oversize the hole to the next thread size larger. Or finally use a helicoil thread repair kit to put in a new thread insert. Remember not to overtighten the bolts again or you will have to do it all over again. ;)
Thanks,

I never heard of that. That's why I said grind the end of the tap. I guess on my recent plumbing repair I made my own bottom tap. Next time I'll buy one.

---

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.