Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/)
-   -   03-04 Overland general info (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/03-04-overland-general-info-66324.html)

cherokee517 10-06-2013 01:38 PM

03-04 Overland general info

I am looking to buy another WJ.
This will be the 4th (and probably last) Jeep I buy. It has to survive a really long time.
There's two I am considering. Both are Overlands. Withoit the Upcountry Suspension.
Anyone have any opinions or experience on the Overland. Good/bad. Common/uncommon issues? Anything you think is important in helping me make the decision to go with one of these or a Special Edition model I also have on my short list. All of these Jeeps have between 73-91k miles. All look well cared for and have clean carfax...
As always I thank you for your input & advice.

Frango100 10-07-2013 01:18 PM

Re: 03-04 Overland general info

Didn't hear about any overland only problems, just the usual WJ things like blend door problems on the automatic temp control AC and failing window regulators.

cheapjeep 10-07-2013 07:00 PM

Not much difference between an ovie and a ltd. On an Overland the HO is standard,chrome strip in the side cladding,rock rails,side airbags.The biggest difference is the Overland front seats.They are totally different than any other WJ and extremely comfortable. Sit in the limited then in the Ovie. You'll see what I mean.

cherokee517 10-08-2013 03:04 PM

Wow. More comfortable seats. I live for my heated seats. I work at a horse farm and have herniated discs. I may never get out of the thing if I sit.

My only real concern is the HO. I've been lead to understsnd that it is a little more sensitive/particular about oip, fluids, etc.

Trav1s 10-08-2013 03:07 PM

I would not be afraid of the HO. Do the maintenance and enjoy the additional performance. I have owned my WJ for 18 months and have racked up 25k miles that I have really enjoyed.

Frango100 10-08-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherokee517 (Post 906488)
Wow. More comfortable seats. I live for my heated seats. I work at a horse farm and have herniated discs. I may never get out of the thing if I sit.

My only real concern is the HO. I've been lead to understsnd that it is a little more sensitive/particular about oip, fluids, etc.

I donīt think its related to the HO, but the 4.7 on itself is more sensitive on doing maintenance on time. This engine is more prone to sludge formation, which could (partly) block the oil supply to critical points. For this reason is changing the PCV valve very important, so that harmfull gasses which pass by the piston rings are sucked away and burned off, before they can mix with the oil and form sludge.
Synthetic oil seems to help reduce this as well. There are some horror stories on the net about failing engines due to sludge, but if maintenance is done in time, this engine is very reliable and will last long.