Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2011+ Dodge Durango-WD (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f177/)
-   -   Fog lights upgraded to high power LEDs (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f177/fog-lights-upgraded-to-high-power-leds-66363.html)

vertrkr 10-07-2013 10:12 AM

Fog lights upgraded to high power LEDs
 
3 Attachment(s)
I upgraded the fog lights to the best H11 leds I could find rated at 26w, 1800 lumens & 5000K.
Bottom Line: I would not recommend this as they are stupid expensive and required modification to the bulb's retainer tabs, however, the final out come is what I desired.

Dissatisfied with the color temp difference between the fog lights (~3000K) and the HIDs (~4500K) I set out to make them match with out loosing brightness (lumens). I'm also really into LEDs which is another reason. The stock bulbs are standard Philips H11 rated at 55w, 1350 lumens and ~3000K (yellowish). The problem with most leds is brightness in this application. They can make them as bright as the halogens but heat kills leds quickly so they must be engineered with heat sinks/cooling fins and/or fans. This gets expensive so most don't make these as no one would buy really expensive bulbs, except suckers like me. Almost all H11 leds will be for cosmetic purposes only to match the color temp as their light output would be half that of the halogens or less.

I really only found one choice to get the brightness as good, actually better, than the stock bulbs and the needed cooling engineered into them. They are from VLEDS.com for $120.
5K WHITE 1800LM LED HEADLIGHTS DRL FOG LIGHTS 9005 9006 H11 H7 H4 | 1 PAIR - Featured

Here's where the problems start. They wouldn't fit as the 3 retainer tabs were too thick. Using my dremel I ground them down to be half as thick and then they were able to turn in the socket to lock them in. I found the reflector in the projector housing is not symmetrical and because the led bulbs only have leds on two sides the beam pattern it cast was not good. Needing to rotate the bulb 90 degrees in it's locked position I had the modify the tabs once again as one tab is bigger making them seat only one way. Making all the tabs equal width I was able to get the bulb rotated 90 degrees. Now the beam pattern is much better.

I also realize they are now worthless as real fog lights (not that they really were to begin with) because of the shorter wave length frequency so they are now driving lights.

Pics below are the LED fog lights on without the DRLs or headlights except the last pic to show how they match the HIDs.

Scottina06 10-07-2013 10:12 PM

Re: Fog lights upgraded to high power LEDs
 
Ive been wondering about the LED kits like that. Thanks for being the guinea pig!

Gtaz19 10-21-2013 11:07 AM

Re: Fog lights upgraded to high power LEDs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by vertrkr (Post 905396)
I upgraded the fog lights to the best H11 leds I could find rated at 26w, 1800 lumens & 5000K.
Bottom Line: I would not recommend this as they are stupid expensive and required modification to the bulb's retainer tabs, however, the final out come is what I desired.

Dissatisfied with the color temp difference between the fog lights (~3000K) and the HIDs (~4500K) I set out to make them match with out loosing brightness (lumens). I'm also really into LEDs which is another reason. The stock bulbs are standard Philips H11 rated at 55w, 1350 lumens and ~3000K (yellowish). The problem with most leds is brightness in this application. They can make them as bright as the halogens but heat kills leds quickly so they must be engineered with heat sinks/cooling fins and/or fans. This gets expensive so most don't make these as no one would buy really expensive bulbs, except suckers like me. Almost all H11 leds will be for cosmetic purposes only to match the color temp as their light output would be half that of the halogens or less.

I really only found one choice to get the brightness as good, actually better, than the stock bulbs and the needed cooling engineered into them. They are from VLEDS.com for $120.
5K WHITE 1800LM LED HEADLIGHTS DRL FOG LIGHTS 9005 9006 H11 H7 H4 | 1 PAIR - Featured

Here's where the problems start. They wouldn't fit as the 3 retainer tabs were too thick. Using my dremel I ground them down to be half as thick and then they were able to turn in the socket to lock them in. I found the reflector in the projector housing is not symmetrical and because the led bulbs only have leds on two sides the beam pattern it cast was not good. Needing to rotate the bulb 90 degrees in it's locked position I had the modify the tabs once again as one tab is bigger making them seat only one way. Making all the tabs equal width I was able to get the bulb rotated 90 degrees. Now the beam pattern is much better.

I also realize they are now worthless as real fog lights (not that they really were to begin with) because of the shorter wave length frequency so they are now driving lights.

Pics below are the LED fog lights on without the DRLs or headlights except the last pic to show how they match the HIDs.

I'm a bit of an LED nut myself, planning on doing some ambient lighting in the Durango. In my home I have replaced every bulb, Minus bathroom and closets with Philips Hue Bulbs. I also have LED strips for ambient lighting throughout my house (behind TV, Under and behind Couches, Under Cabinets), and most of those are controleldby philips as well with a little mod job I did. I also control all the lights with home automation.

vertrkr 10-21-2013 11:21 AM

Re: Fog lights upgraded to high power LEDs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gtaz19 (Post 914485)
I'm a bit of an LED nut myself, planning on doing some ambient lighting in the Durango. In my home I have replaced every bulb, Minus bathroom and closets with Philips Hue Bulbs. I also have LED strips for ambient lighting throughout my house (behind TV, Under and behind Couches, Under Cabinets), and most of those are controleldby philips as well with a little mod job I did. I also control all the lights with home automation.

Me too except I don't have the cool philips control. I'm down to 5 lights left that aren't led in the master bath my wife won't let me touch. BTW these babies kick ass for garage lights, 5000k at 2200 lumens:
http://www.feit.com/led-lamps/Genera...om2200r-5k-led


I'm probably going to add foot well led strips but I can't decide to use my own hardware or use the crazy expensive mopar kit.
Interior Lighting - 82212347 | Mopar

Here's the Durango wiring diagrams if you choose to tap in for power.
https://techauthorityonlinedemo.extr...ew/classic.htm

Gtaz19 10-21-2013 11:54 AM

Re: Fog lights upgraded to high power LEDs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by vertrkr (Post 914492)
Me too except I don't have the cool philips control. I'm down to 5 lights left that aren't led in the master bath my wife won't let me touch. These babies kick ass for garage lights, 5000k at 2200 lumens:
150 Watt Equivalent Natural Daylight Remote Phosphor Dimmable Performance LED A23


I'm going to add foot well led strips but I can't decide to use my own hardware or use the crazy expensive mopar kit. I like the mopar kit as it's plug & play.
Interior Lighting - 82212347 | Mopar

Here's the Durango wiring diagrams if you choose to tap in for power.
https://techauthorityonlinedemo.extr...ew/classic.htm

I too am having that debat with myself. Good looks on the diagrams. I know I can do RBG myself, but I think that the cup holder lights also change to RGB with the Mopar kit. If i do it myself I might go nutty and do all the seats. The one thing that i like about fords my touch is the ambient lighting in the truck all changes to the color you select on my touch, the bad thing is limited color selection. If I cdo the ambient light i'll still have a lot of lights in the Durango that are blue and may clash with the ambient lighting. Red usually goes well with blue and black but it limits your colors unless I just color match them all to the nice blue already on the Durango.

I will be at this a while as I am a master debater

Laureljoke 10-21-2013 01:08 PM

Re: Fog lights upgraded to high power LEDs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by vertrkr (Post 914492)
Me too except I don't have the cool philips control. I'm down to 5 lights left that aren't led in the master bath my wife won't let me touch. BTW these babies kick ass for garage lights, 5000k at 2200 lumens:
150 Watt Equivalent Natural Daylight Remote Phosphor Dimmable Performance LED A23


Not sure I'll get around to making the change, but your LED fog lights look terrific, and so much better than standard with the Durango headlights, IMHO.

Curiosity question (my dumb question for the day) about LED lights throughout your house.... I know very little about them, but thought that they used to be known for casting a bluish cool light, as opposed to the light thrown from a warmer incandescent bulb. Our house in TX is dark with VERY dim lighting throughout, so hope to change bulbs and fixtures where necessary to brighten things up. Would love to enjoy the long life of LEDs as long as the color wouldn't look clinical. Are there more color choices now? Perhaps I should just wander through Lowe's or Home Depot and take a look...:confused:

Gtaz19 10-21-2013 01:35 PM

Re: Fog lights upgraded to high power LEDs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Laureljoke (Post 914581)
Not sure I'll get around to making the change, but your LED fog lights look terrific, and so much better than standard with the Durango headlights, IMHO.

Curiosity question (my dumb question for the day) about LED lights throughout your house.... I know very little about them, but thought that they used to be known for casting a bluish cool light, as opposed to the light thrown from a warmer incandescent bulb. Our house in TX is dark with VERY dim lighting throughout, so hope to change bulbs and fixtures where necessary to brighten things up. Would love to enjoy the long life of LEDs as long as the color wouldn't look clinical. Are there more color choices now? Perhaps I should just wander through Lowe's or Home Depot and take a look...:confused:

The LEDs have come along way. The philips hue bulbs can hit every color from blue to yellow and all of the RGB colors as well. You can get the blueish light for times when you are working and the warm yellows for relaxing or reading. With the hues you can do colors like I said to mimic sunsets or other times as well. If you're not into the colors you can get living whites which is just the white spectrum blues/yellows and all controlled from a phone or normal light switch. The lights take up 8.5 watts at full strength, so often don't even take up that many, and last 15-20 years.

There are many other options for LEDs that are not as complicated as what I said and are a static warm color for your reference. These can be dimmed as well.

vertrkr 10-21-2013 01:56 PM

Re: Fog lights upgraded to high power LEDs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Laureljoke (Post 914581)
Not sure I'll get around to making the change, but your LED fog lights look terrific, and so much better than standard with the Durango headlights, IMHO.
Curiosity question (my dumb question for the day) about LED lights throughout your house.... I know very little about them, but thought that they used to be known for casting a bluish cool light, as opposed to the light thrown from a warmer incandescent bulb. Our house in TX is dark with VERY dim lighting throughout, so hope to change bulbs and fixtures where necessary to brighten things up. Would love to enjoy the long life of LEDs as long as the color wouldn't look clinical. Are there more color choices now? Perhaps I should just wander through Lowe's or Home Depot and take a look...:confused:

First off, LED bulbs are stupid expensive, $20-$30 per bulb for good ones. That stops most people right there. As for color, bulbs are rated using a color temperature scale in K. Regular incandescent bulbs are about 2700k. You'll find led and cfl (compact flourensent light) from 2700K to 6000k. For the household I prefer 3100K. Google "light bulb color temperature" for more info.

Gtaz19 10-21-2013 02:02 PM

Re: Fog lights upgraded to high power LEDs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by vertrkr (Post 914617)
First off, LED bulbs are stupid expensive, $20-$30 per bulb for good ones. That stops most people right there. As for color, bulbs are rated using a color temperature scale in K. Regular incandescent bulbs are about 2700k. You'll find led and cfl (compact flourensent light) from 2700K to 6000k. For the household I prefer 3100K. Google "light bulb color temperature" for more info.

This is personally why I like the hue bulbs or living whites, while they are $60 a pop, you can change the color depending on mood or application. Controlling with your phone or home automation systems is a plus. Well worth the money in my opinion. Go get the hue starter kit for $200 from an apple store, it has 3 bulbs and the base unit. If you decide it's not for you, return it in 14 days no questions asked, but I have a feeling you'll keep them.

Laureljoke 10-21-2013 02:46 PM

Thank you both, Vertrkr and Gtaz19, for a great lighting education and always sound advice. I have so little to give forum members in return (recipes, anyone?) but I just get and get and get educated about my new vehicle, and a myriad of other things. So well worth the price of admission!

ufokillerz 12-09-2013 11:04 AM

Re: Fog lights upgraded to high power LEDs
 
sorry for bumping your thread. i'm hoping to fit a set of these
BMW F15 X5 OEM LED Fog Lights (New) - Bargain Basement from The Retrofit Source Inc
they already have H11 connectors, so that works perfect. Hoping I can get these in without much issue!

hope these work well =)

vertrkr 12-09-2013 12:10 PM

Re: Fog lights upgraded to high power LEDs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ufokillerz (Post 942672)
sorry for bumping your thread. i'm hoping to fit a set of these
BMW F15 X5 OEM LED Fog Lights (New) - Bargain Basement from The Retrofit Source Inc
they already have H11 connectors, so that works perfect. Hoping I can get these in without much issue!
hope these work well =)

Curious to know if they fit and any specs, lumens/color temp? Post when your done.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community