Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   WJ Front Axle Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/wj-front-axle-problems-6637.html)

02JeepGrandCherokee 02-17-2010 09:55 AM

WJ Front Axle Problems

Hey guys,
I have an 02 Grand limited with Quadra-Drive, Dana 35 in the front and 44 in the rear. The pinion bearing in the 35 has failed, and now i have a hellacious chirping sound and bad vibration that is driving me mad. I have been told that it would be close to $1k to get the differential rebuilt, but got some buddies that tell me there are many options when it comes to axle swapping that could save me a lot of money... I guess my question is, what would yall recommend I do? I mean does anyone know what axles would be a simple swap for the front? Just gimme your thoughts if you don't mind, what would be better and what would be cheaper (rebuild or swap) lol. Thanks guys

mountian goat 02-17-2010 10:21 AM

Re: WJ Front Axle Problems

correct me if i am wrong but i believe that you have a dana 30 front, i have an o4 wj and i upgrade to a overland dana 30 for the limited slip and 3.73... i reserched rebuilding the front to what i wanted and it would have cost me alot of money to rebuild it, but your front is not trashed to bad it would be worth rebuilding, but if your going that route you might want some thier that knows what their doing cause you have to set the back lash right. another option would be go to a junk yard and find one, i got mine for 100... and i also bought another one to sell... well good luck..

bmflyfish 02-17-2010 10:33 AM

I am an opportunist, so I am thinking that maybe it would be time to go with lower gears :), if you have not already. You going to have to rebuild the front end regardless. So a rear gear swap may not be all that much more.

mountian goat 02-17-2010 10:46 AM

i,ve done the axle uprades, it would cost alot more to change to lower gears, and most likey he all ready has 3.73 which is all ready a good alround gears, plus he has a dana 44 rear, and their is not to many options for a gear change, and if he could find a lower gear i would be 4.10 and his gas milage would go down.. over all the rear is in good condition, so why mess with it, that would be the more exspensive way to go, just swap out the front axle or rebuild it, i,ve done the axle upgrades and i could not build, what i wanted for what it cost me to swap them out..

josef15111 02-17-2010 02:01 PM

hey there i have a question about your chirping your haven. I get a weird arse squeal only some times from my front driver side its a squeal like high pich squeal louder than brake pads. its no tthe pads they been replaced no stoping the squeal. and if i cut my wheel all the way to the right then take off im good. the squeals come around 25ish then keeps doing it untill i go under that speed lol. its weird i was gunna replace axles and hubs in a few more weeks just praying my 30 isnt bad! how can one check to see if everything is good with it. i replaced the fluid around 10k ago with royal purple 75 140 its in the front and rears. thanks

Joe

bmflyfish 02-17-2010 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountian goat (Post 152577)
i,ve done the axle uprades, it would cost alot more to change to lower gears, and most likey he all ready has 3.73 which is all ready a good alround gears, plus he has a dana 44 rear, and their is not to many options for a gear change, and if he could find a lower gear i would be 4.10 and his gas milage would go down.. over all the rear is in good condition, so why mess with it, that would be the more exspensive way to go, just swap out the front axle or rebuild it, i,ve done the axle upgrades and i could not build, what i wanted for what it cost me to swap them out..

You make a good point with the 3.73 being a good all around gear. But 3.73 to 4.10 is not going to affect that much. You are only talking about maybe a 200- 250 RPM increase. And my impression is that since he has a 6.5 inch lift with 32 inch mud tires that gas mileage is not a huge concern. I think the biggest question would be if the carriers he has now will work with a lower gear. Of course having to switch the rear gears would be an additional labor cost, but if the front is going to have to be dismantled and if the front carrier will work with the lower gear, then the labor cost should not be anymore.

mountian goat 02-17-2010 05:35 PM

the first question i have, is your dana 30 have limited slip... cause if it does then you have to add a special friction addtive, as far as checking if you have a bad diff, well you'll have to tear off the front cover and check it out... that being said, go ahead and jack up your driver side tire and see if their is any play in the front hub and if their is than that whats causing it...as far a the gear swap i am pretty sure that 4.10 will fit in the carrier..

02JeepGrandCherokee 02-22-2010 09:38 AM

mountain goat- thank you for correcting me, i got confused on the axle in the front and it is a dana 30... i am pretty sure it is limited slip

mountian goat 02-23-2010 08:18 PM

if you lived closer id sell you sell you a dana 30 that came out of a wreck overland... their really is no upgrade unless you go to a different splined shaft.. best bet get on craigs list and look for a used one or check you local junk yard.... i rebuilt mine fairly cheap but i do all my work... good luck