Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f75/)
-   -   K&N air filter? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f75/k-and-n-air-filter-66376.html)

zztopgun 10-07-2013 02:37 PM

K&N air filter?

My GC has the hemi and I'd like to put a k&n filter in it to increase sound and performance but wasn't sure if it makes a worthwhile difference with this engine. I was hoping to get some feedback before I spent the money.

Thanks,

ZZ

WK HEMInKY 10-12-2013 03:37 PM

A filter alone in your stock intake will not make a difference in sound or performance.

longaker20 10-17-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zztopgun (Post 905602)
My GC has the hemi and I'd like to put a k&n filter in it to increase sound and performance but wasn't sure if it makes a worthwhile difference with this engine. I was hoping to get some feedback before I spent the money. Thanks, ZZ

I would highly consider it. I have one in my 2011 jeep grand Cherokee 3.6 V6 and not only does it make it louder but the performance and MPG both increase as well. I traveled cross country, 3,500 miles 3 months ago and at a constant 80 MPH I was getting 26 MPG.

Mikericci 10-17-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longaker20 (Post 912394)
I would highly consider it. I have one in my 2011 jeep grand Cherokee 3.6 V6 and not only does it make it louder but the performance and MPG both increase as well. I traveled cross country, 3,500 miles 3 months ago and at a constant 80 MPH I was getting 26 MPG.

Which model did you get?

longaker20 10-17-2013 02:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikericci (Post 912397)
which model did you get?

Attachment 30406

longaker20 10-17-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikericci (Post 912397)
Which model did you get?

Streetsideauto.com has the best prices. I think I picked mine up for about 230$ after taxes and shipping.

ExcursionDiesel 10-17-2013 02:55 PM

Its well documented that K&N filters flow more by filtering less. Their sales and marketing departments will not address this question directly. Google is your friend. The folks that buy their marketing hype will fanatically defend them with no conclusive evidence that the filter works as well as stock. Use at your own risk!

A good aftermarket CAI will use a substantially larger filter with more surface area to increase flow. Drop in filters MUST filter less to flow more since they are the same size. The laws of physics apply.

Gamma505 10-19-2013 06:39 AM

Re: K&N air filter?

One certain difference with a K&N is that more dirt gets in your cylinders. The Web is full of K&N "performance" discussions with the jist of it being that stock engine filters have more than sufficient air flow (CFM) figures while race motors that get rebuilt every season or sooner may benefit from a higher flowing air filter.

Added expense and maintenance needed to clean and oil the K&N doesn't seem worth it...I was a past user on tuned HiPro motors with data monitoring and never saw any real difference in HP/Torque...just "IMHO" as they say.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zztopgun (Post 905602)
My GC has the hemi and I'd like to put a k&n filter in it to increase sound and performance but wasn't sure if it makes a worthwhile difference with this engine. I was hoping to get some feedback before I spent the money.

Thanks,

ZZ

zztopgun 10-22-2013 05:38 PM

Thank you for all the info. I think I'll be staying with stock. Just wish I could hear that hemi better.

longaker20 10-22-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zztopgun (Post 915402)
Thank you for all the info. I think I'll be staying with stock. Just wish I could hear that hemi better.

Get an exhaust. You will definitely be able to hear it then with borla or flow master.

WK HEMInKY 11-01-2013 10:37 AM

I bought a used Air Raid intake system and it sounds amazing with my Hemi!

philbytx 12-27-2013 03:46 PM

Re: K&N air filter?

To help you, here is a linky to a scientific test OEM v K&N air filters.

K&N Air Filter Review - Debunking the Myths (and why OEM is better)

K&N are fine if you are on the track and rebuilding motors regularly. However, for everday users, they offer nothing....