Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Search for a new project (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/search-for-a-new-project-66387.html)

oversand 10-07-2013 06:42 PM

Search for a new project

Longtime lurker first time poster.

Recently my wife purchased a 2013 GC overland and Loves it. I must say I do enjoy the way it rides handles etc. So, with that being said, I am toying with the idea to purchase a somewhat older model. I am thinking the 2005-2010 models are best suited for my purposes. I have seen a lot of 1999-2004 models but kind of like the newer body style.

I have a couple questions related to the 2005-2010 models. Mainly the drivetrain. The motors transmission and 4WD. Where so many have walked before I am hoping to avoid mistakes (by that I mean I wish I got this instead of what I got type things) and minor issues and pitfalls.

4.7 or 5.7 hemi??? any difference aside from the obvious or it does not matter which one you get as both are good? Lower miles better or both strong engines.

Laredo or limited models?

Is there a shiftable 4x4 selector as in the previous model or is the quadra drive 2 (not sure of the name)

This vehicle will be my toy. Plans include a lift and bigger tires asap. It will be what we use to go out to the beach with so having a decent reliable 4wd system is very important. I have been known to do some wild things so want to be prepared. I am sure mild compared to some and totally crazy to others. Basically I just like to have fun with my 4x4 and not have to worry about it breaking every time I go out to play. Main thing I am probably going to do is put the rear seats down and toss fishing poles and bicycle in the back. Daily commute will be less than 10 miles so I am not concerned with gas mileage as much as performance.

thanks in advance for any help you can shine my direction.

816jared 10-07-2013 11:06 PM

Re: Search for a new project

get the HEMI, difference is gas mileage is negligible with increase in power and way more options as far as mods go.

as far as the 4wd systems go, QD2 > QT2

oversand 10-08-2013 07:46 AM

Thanks for the response. I gather from the lack of responses to views there is nothing wrong with either or people don't have these vehicles anymore..... oh well.

Again thanks for the response

SteelBlueWK 10-08-2013 02:26 PM

Hi, welcome to Jeep Garage. My preference is 5.7 Hemi with QD2 which is what I have. But a modded 4.7 and QT2 would be my second choice. Since you're new to JG you may not have browsed around the forum much. Here's an opportunity right in your backyard. It looks to be clean and well maintained.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f12/2007-g...kee-66186.html

dr.lee.baugh 10-08-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oversand (Post 905797)
Longtime lurker first time poster.

Recently my wife purchased a 2013 GC overland and Loves it. I must say I do enjoy the way it rides handles etc. So, with that being said, I am toying with the idea to purchase a somewhat older model. I am thinking the 2005-2010 models are best suited for my purposes. I have seen a lot of 1999-2004 models but kind of like the newer body style.

I have a couple questions related to the 2005-2010 models. Mainly the drivetrain. The motors transmission and 4WD. Where so many have walked before I am hoping to avoid mistakes (by that I mean I wish I got this instead of what I got type things) and minor issues and pitfalls.

4.7 or 5.7 hemi??? any difference aside from the obvious or it does not matter which one you get as both are good? Lower miles better or both strong engines.

Laredo or limited models?

Is there a shiftable 4x4 selector as in the previous model or is the quadra drive 2 (not sure of the name)

This vehicle will be my toy. Plans include a lift and bigger tires asap. It will be what we use to go out to the beach with so having a decent reliable 4wd system is very important. I have been known to do some wild things so want to be prepared. I am sure mild compared to some and totally crazy to others. Basically I just like to have fun with my 4x4 and not have to worry about it breaking every time I go out to play. Main thing I am probably going to do is put the rear seats down and toss fishing poles and bicycle in the back. Daily commute will be less than 10 miles so I am not concerned with gas mileage as much as performance.

thanks in advance for any help you can shine my direction.

There are still a lot of us with the WKs!

There are no 2WD to 4WD shift on the fly options available. You either get a 2WD or AWD.

Both the QT2 and QD2 have low ranges (also a great option if you want to go off-roading). The primary difference between the quadra drive and the quadra trac systems are locking ELSDs in the quadra drive. In early years, this was both front and rear axles. The front ELSD was dropped somewhere along the line, but can't remember if it was in later WKs or just in the WK2s. QTI is a single speed (using the NV145 TC), and would not be recommend for serious off road use.

Both the 4.7 and the hemi have adequate power. As others have posted, with the negligible differences in mpgs, most choose to go with the hemi for the extra oomph. If you plan on doing any towing, the 5.7 is the smarter choice for most.

Whether you go with the limited or Laredo (or overland, for that matter) will really depend on what motor and other toys you want.

Whatever you go with, you'll want to make sure it has a complete service history. Many people do not service the axles and transfer case appropriately, and premature failure is a common occurrence if that is the case.

oversand 10-08-2013 07:20 PM

thanks again for the info, I will not be towing at all, and at most it will just have a bicycle and or fishing gear thrown in the back. Given the info that a 4.7 or the 5.7 hemi both suffice, I will check out some local lower mileage newer models which have a 4.7 since those are much more common and have a better retail price.

Thanks for the tip about a good deal in the area near me, unfortunately, have to utilize dealer financing options.

oversand 10-15-2013 05:04 PM

***Update***

Purchased a 05 GC Limited Dark Blue metallic 99k on the clock. Two tone Leather interior. Since I purchased been driving this more than my 2012 car.... guess I miss being up in the air so to speak. Like all vehicles which have been around the block it needs a few things here and there. Such as struts, brakes and tires. I figure I will just do all of the above at the same time and get it lifted up a couple inches at the same time and go up to a 265/70/r17 for now. I am sure I shall be picking peoples minds for best type lifts and which course to take with my new toy.

thanks

dr.lee.baugh 10-15-2013 07:15 PM

Sounds like a great ride. Congrats.