Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   Cold Air Intake (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/cold-air-intake-66419.html)

fitz796 10-08-2013 02:18 PM

Cold Air Intake
 
Hey Guys,

Brand new to the Jeep Community. I just bought an 06 with the 4.7L. I was thinking of either upgrading the filter to a K&N or should I go the route of a CAI, and if so, what brand?
I know its kinda of a "catch-22" but since this is a daily driver Id like to try
to increase MPG if possible (an oxymoron with a v8), yet keep the HP.

Any help is welcomed...thanks

Kman09JGC 10-09-2013 08:26 PM

Re: Cold Air Intake
 
I put the K&N CAI on my 09 4.7. I went with K&N because it got rid of the plenum. Throttle response has increased and IMO runs better with it on. The biggest thing is the sound it makes which alone is worth it. I bought mine at summit racing for I think $279

Strongjeff 10-09-2013 08:52 PM

Re: Cold Air Intake
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kman09JGC (Post 907512)
I put the K&N CAI on my 09 4.7. I went with K&N because it got rid of the plenum. Throttle response has increased and IMO runs better with it on. The biggest thing is the sound it makes which alone is worth it. I bought mine at summit racing for I think $279

im running an injin on my 3.7. they have one for yours too on carid.com

DeKraker 10-15-2013 10:42 PM

Re: Cold Air Intake
 
aFe Stage 2 on my 5.7... Pure awesome!

HemiDawg 10-16-2013 01:45 PM

Re: Cold Air Intake
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeKraker (Post 911448)
aFe Stage 2 on my 5.7... Pure awesome!

I second this! And with the aFe you can get the dry filter which is cleanable but does not require re-oiling.

fitz796 10-17-2013 07:46 PM

Re: Cold Air Intake
 
Thanks for the advise so far. I do want to take advantage of the V8 and the sound potential, an exhaust upgrade will be down the line when i have more room in the budget. Is there one from the ones you mentioned that do anything for mileage.

fitz796 10-17-2013 07:49 PM

Re: Cold Air Intake
 
One of the brands that a friend at work recommended was Volant

06HemiWK 10-17-2013 08:01 PM

If you plan on off-roading and water crossing. Get the intake that's in the box. Like volant or something else. My 06 5.7 has a k&n and it I wish I had one instead of the k&n. You can fabricate something to work better. But with my k&n the bottom is open to the fender. So water splashes up and gets it wet when you fly through water. Just my opinion. Besides that I love the way it sounds and how it looks.

DeKraker 10-17-2013 08:09 PM

There's a kit you can buy that is just an intake tube and keeps the stock air box. Seems pretty reasonable for off-road.

YjagetaJeep 10-18-2013 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeKraker (Post 912619)
There's a kit you can buy that is just an intake tube and keeps the stock air box. Seems pretty reasonable for off-road.

DeKraker...I am very interested in a tube kit which might enable use of my factory filter box. I have found some components from Sceptre which I can cobble together, but a ready made kit would save a lot of time and money. Do you happen to remember where you saw this?
The factory tube slows down the charge air and robs some torque, however,
I believe the factory filter box is better than any of the aftermarket crap. I would use it with a K&N low restrict filter.

Baalic 10-18-2013 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YjagetaJeep (Post 912767)
DeKraker...I am very interested in a tube kit which might enable use of my factory filter box. I have found some components from Sceptre which I can cobble together, but a ready made kit would save a lot of time and money. Do you happen to remember where you saw this? The factory tube slows down the charge air and robs some torque, however, I believe the factory filter box is better than any of the aftermarket crap. I would use it with a K&N low restrict filter.

interested to see this setup myself

DeKraker 10-18-2013 06:41 AM

AirRaid 310-970 MIT(Modular Intake Tube). I think if my aFe doesnt do the trick off-road, I will switch to this myself.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community