Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   Finally got rid of that pesky p0420 egr code (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/finally-got-rid-of-that-pesky-p0420-egr-code-66443.html)

Combat 10-09-2013 01:36 AM

Finally got rid of that pesky p0420 egr code

2 Attachment(s)
For the past few weeks I was throwing a P0420 code for exhaust gas recirculation insufficent and was having a slight hesitation on acceleration. I replaced the egr, and cleaned the egr tubing.That did not work. I cleaned my catch can hoses and replaced my pcv valve. That did not work. Then I ran into a thread by DannyVTCa and Voila!!!

Thanks to DannyVtCa(saved me about 5 bills)and his write up I decided to to pull my intake manifold and give it a cleaning. Guess what, no more p0420 egr insufficent code and no more hesitation. It's been about two weeks now, and it has not came back.

Just wanted to share my experience.

Oh, and pulling the intake manifold is not as difficult as you think. I believe the hardest part was pulling fuel line from the fuel rail with the the special fuel line removal tool.

I'd tried to add more pics, but seems like my iPad is only letting me upload 1 ,hmmm?

jeepgcoman 10-09-2013 10:06 PM

Re: Finally got rid of that pesky p0420 egr code

Did you get your Sheradon tranny installed? If so, how did it work? Too bad you didn't switch to the Eagle intake manifold when you had it off. With your mods. it would probably help a bit. Mopar Muscle magazine tested 4 different intake manifolds (IIRC, 5.7 truck, stock LX/WK, Eagle, and Edelbrock carburator) and it was second best on a stock 5.7, just behind the LX/WK manifold. The Eagle needed better airflow (i.e. CAI, cam, heads, headers) through the engine before it'll deliver more than the stock unit.

Combat 10-10-2013 12:30 AM

Now thats another story! I did have the stage 3 trans from Sheradon installed; however, I didnt really get to enjoy it as the torque converter failed on me in less than two weeks. Seems like it was a manufacture defect. Denny from Sheradon requested the trans be sent back to him for a rebuild at no cost to me.

Currently the trans was removed today and will be heading back to Minnesota this week, so hopefully when it comes back i will have a greater explanation.

I haven't really been posting lately, due to the fact.

Oh and do they make the eagle intake manifolds for an 06?

jeepgcoman 10-10-2013 10:38 AM

The Eagles are just the name for the late (IIRC 09->) model 5.7's. They interchange, but you may need a thin port adapter plate. You may want to try a search for "5.7 Hemi Eagle Intake Manifold". There's a pretty good thread on this over on the LX forums. Check it out.

johngreen1234 10-10-2013 03:08 PM

Sorry to hear the Sharadon's requiring some effort. I'm sure it will all get sorted out.

+1 on the product report, once it all gets worked out. In particular, I'm wondering how the Stage 3 felt when shifting (if you ever got that far). For my DD and no track, I'm wondering if the Stage 2 might be a better choice for me.

DannyVtCa 10-10-2013 05:50 PM

Glad to hear my thread helped you out. How bad was your intake? I hate the fuel line removal tools they sell at autozone... Plastic pieces of crap that bend and only work one or two times. My rig still throws a egr code, but I believe it is related to my egr notch on my srt8 manifold not deep enough and/or less vacuum caused by ported heads. I'm thinking it is a combination of the two. Someone can chime in.... But wouldn't larger intake ports cause less vacuum?

Combat 10-11-2013 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannyVtCa (Post 908080)
Glad to hear my thread helped you out. How bad was your intake? I hate the fuel line removal tools they sell at autozone... Plastic pieces of crap that bend and only work one or two times. My rig still throws a egr code, but I believe it is related to my egr notch on my srt8 manifold not deep enough and/or less vacuum caused by ported heads. I'm thinking it is a combination of the two. Someone can chime in.... But wouldn't larger intake ports cause less vacuum?

It was about 5 put of 10, with the worst of it inside the pcv valve opening.

Do you use a catch can? I believe it can help in a good and bad way if not emptied on time. For some odd reason I think my egr code was caused by an overfilled catch can. It's why I decided to take my manifold apart and give it a deep cleaning. (Dumb me, just lost track of time). Nonetheless, the cleaning seemed to fix the problem. Note I also spayed carb cleaner religously in every nook and cranny of the manifold, but I did not let it sit too long.

Combat 10-11-2013 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johngreen1234 (Post 907973)
Sorry to hear the Sharadon's requiring some effort. I'm sure it will all get sorted out.

+1 on the product report, once it all gets worked out. In particular, I'm wondering how the Stage 3 felt when shifting (if you ever got that far). For my DD and no track, I'm wondering if the Stage 2 might be a better choice for me.

Honestly, I really can't comment in the shifting. I don't know if was ever working properly for me to give a valid report. But a soon as I get it back i will make a video and post.