Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   !!help!! rear differential humming noise (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/help-rear-differential-humming-noise-66460.html)

korrupt_jeep 10-09-2013 12:35 PM

!!help!! rear differential humming noise

rear differential humming noise i change the oil this week and the humming noise is still there i just wanna get this problem fix any ideas. thank you :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused:

dr.lee.baugh 10-09-2013 02:51 PM

Re: !!help!! rear differential humming noise

Does sound change with speed? Does it vary when you are on/off the throttle?

Most common cause of rear diff whine is internal gear damage, if that's the case you are looking at a rebuild or replacement of the rear diff.

If it's there when you are decelerating, it points to a worn pinion or incorrect pinion preload. If it's there on acceleration, you're likely looking at worn ring and pinion.

It could be a rear wheel bearing, but not if the sound changes if as you adjust the throttle.

korrupt_jeep 10-09-2013 04:50 PM

all the time going slow or fast it sounds more loud when i drive faster. some times the driveshaft going faster then the differential like if was skipping broken teeth on the gears i don't know :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

blackpepper 10-10-2013 02:29 AM

Sounds like a rebuild in your future. Find a shop you trust and get their opinion. It'll keep making the noise til its too late.

korrupt_jeep 10-10-2013 10:05 AM

how much u think is going to run ($$$)to rebuilt the differential ?

Kayak83 10-10-2013 10:25 AM

I got a new rear diff installed for around 3k. I'm still not happy about it. A rebuild wasn't an option for me.

blackpepper 10-10-2013 10:40 AM

I was quoted 1300 and that was only if it was certain parts because once they go in there could be more parts that need to be replaced

korrupt_jeep 10-10-2013 10:51 AM

:eek:3k ....... dam i think I'm going to look into seeing how hard is to do it my self I'm good whit on working on cars but i never rebuild a differential i see

dr.lee.baugh 10-10-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by korrupt_jeep (Post 907800)
:eek:3k ....... dam i think I'm going to look into seeing how hard is to do it my self I'm good whit on working on cars but i never rebuild a differential i see

It's hard to get right. If you don't have any experience setting one up, I would try and find someone in your area with experience to help you through it. Setting the bearing preloads and ensuring the teeth all make contact as they should is not something a novice can learn off the internet.

If you are trying to save a few bucks, you can see if there are any low-mileage used ones around. Swapping it out is easier for the DIY'er than rebuilding.

If it was me, I would take it to a trusted mechanic to verify that it is the correct diagnosis. If so, I would drive it until it breaks completely. You can get 100,000 miles out of a whining diff, or you could get 10. Either way, your looking at the same repair at the end.

jeeper_57 10-10-2013 02:48 PM

hi guys
I had the same problem,
http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/whining-noise-54473.html

I had some play in the spider gears and mostely the small shaft that hold them in place
I discovered this too late as jeep mechs told me whole diff is dead . the full rear axle was cheaper that the diff rebuild from dealer or from another workshop.

you need to remove the diff cover and check if the diff is working ok , mine with the small play was not turning round anymore ,

I found the pns of the replacement kit long time ago ( I need to find them again)
if you do it yourself i think the price for the kit is less than 60

otherwise 3000 or $ its approx the same if you replace full rear axle (cheaper than diff )because they need to order everything separate the stealership quoted me 6000 to do the diff change :banghead:

I still have my old rear axle I need to order the kit in US:D

korrupt_jeep 10-10-2013 03:49 PM

yea I'm just going to take it to someone that knows what they doing thanks 4 the help

dmsfun 10-10-2013 03:51 PM

The most common cause of the hum noise is due to the carrier bearing failing. It's not that big of a job to replace, and I had mine done. Removing the diff and opening it up is needed to see what the problem is, so they quoted 1300, in case it needs a lot more work.