Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Rodent in my HVAC fan ! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/rodent-in-my-hvac-fan-66484.html)

JeepGuy2014 10-09-2013 05:57 PM

Rodent in my HVAC fan !

1 Attachment(s)
After noticing my HVAC fan was considerable louder than it had been in the past, I decided to take a look a look at the fan motor. I pulled the cabin air filter out first and saw it was chewed up in two places by probably a field mouse. My guess is that it had gotten in there thru the front right air intake for the cabin. After seeing the condtion of the filter, I removed the fan and it was filled with nesting materials lol. It had chewed thru the filter and started to build a nest inside the fan ! the mice had also started to chew on the foam rubber block on top of the engine under the plastic housing.
I cleaned out and replaced the fan, its working fine now. How do I prevent this in the future? I wonder if a fine wire mesh around the top of the new filter would stop any new critters from getting in there or impede performance of the filter? This happened at my vacation home, no garage, and lots of woods and field mice around. They have gotten into other vehicles there in the past.

eibyer 10-09-2013 06:13 PM

Wow, that would freak out some women... and men haha.

JeepGuy2014 10-09-2013 07:45 PM

Re: Rodent in my HVAC fan !

Yeah, It does creep the girlfriend out.. Its amazing they can get into a modern vehicle that easily. I cant really see where the outside air comes in from the front of the Jeep, I opened hood and looked under the air intake trim/screen but cant really see to far down after that. Maybe I should put some sort of screen there? I used to have a Trailblazer and on occasion they would get into the glove box and chew up napkins or whatever was in there, but never enough to have to start pulling components out..

Zybane 10-09-2013 10:23 PM

The air intake should be where they are on virtually all vehicles. Under the wire mesh/screen just below the windshield wipers etc.

Specx 10-10-2013 08:44 AM

I would consider this war and start seeking their hideouts for this preemptive strike against your new Jeep.

Todd3.6 10-10-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Specx (Post 907714)
I would consider this war and start seeking their hideouts for this preemptive strike against your new Jeep.

Precisely why I always keep a fresh supply of rodent bait in my garage (and tool shed - gotta protect the Cub Cadet RZT mower)!

cherryredjeep 10-10-2013 02:16 PM

Same thing happened to me! Boy did it smell every time i started car.I pulled out the filter and looked in there w/light and way in the back,hanging over the edge was a dead mouse:eek: I put a rag in the fan and somehow got him out w/out falling back into the dash.It happened just when the temps fell below 50.

lstowell 10-10-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepGuy2014 (Post 907425)
After noticing my HVAC fan was considerable louder than it had been in the past, I decided to take a look a look at the fan motor. I pulled the cabin air filter out first and saw it was chewed up in two places by probably a field mouse. My guess is that it had gotten in there thru the front right air intake for the cabin. After seeing the condtion of the filter, I removed the fan and it was filled with nesting materials lol. It had chewed thru the filter and started to build a nest inside the fan ! the mice had also started to chew on the foam rubber block on top of the engine under the plastic housing.
I cleaned out and replaced the fan, its working fine now. How do I prevent this in the future? I wonder if a fine wire mesh around the top of the new filter would stop any new critters from getting in there or impede performance of the filter? This happened at my vacation home, no garage, and lots of woods and field mice around. They have gotten into other vehicles there in the past.

I would think the obvious solution would be to put a small, but mean and hungry, cat in there. :thumbsup:

Its probably too small for a horned owl or falcon.

Dabitz 10-10-2013 03:20 PM

How do you get to the fan? Mine makes a little noise at low speeds and I want to check for leaves, etc (and I guess dead mouses as well). I'm out of warranty.

Zybane 10-10-2013 04:11 PM

I just can't get over how mice etc fit through gaps as small as 1/4 inch. I don't have my WK2 yet, but the air inlet mesh at the bottom of the windshield has how big of openings?

JeepGuy2014 10-10-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd3.6 (Post 907902)
Precisely why I always keep a fresh supply of rodent bait in my garage (and tool shed - gotta protect the Cub Cadet RZT mower)!

Haha, my Cub Cadet is locked inside the the Tuff-Shed and they cant get in so I'm good there. I thought of using rodent bait, but I'm afraid they will just crawl inside and die there. Traps are kind of inconveinent to set and monitor constantly. I think the answer is a mesh screen somewhere in the intake or filter system. There is a guy that makes a stainless steel cabin filter for WK2 and I am investigating getting one. I cant believe how many of these field mice and chipmunks too. There are lots of owls, hawks and eagles around but they arent putting a dent in the local rodent population. Or maybe Ill be building a garage soon...

JeepGuy2014 10-10-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dabitz (Post 907981)
How do you get to the fan? Mine makes a little noise at low speeds and I want to check for leaves, etc (and I guess dead mouses as well). I'm out of warranty.

You can access HVAC fan by taking glove box off, then the footrest trim snaps off, carefully disconnect the light connecttions attached to it, disconnect the HVAC electric connector then remove the three torx screws on the HVAC fan unit and it should drop right down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zybane (Post 908013)
I just can't get over how mice etc fit through gaps as small as 1/4 inch. I don't have my WK2 yet, but the air inlet mesh at the bottom of the windshield has how big of openings?

They get in from under the inlet mesh, theres plenty of space under it to get in.