Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Hard drive/FLAC issues (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/hard-drive-flac-issues-66516.html)

cpageek 10-10-2013 09:13 AM

Hard drive/FLAC issues

I just bought a 2014 GC Summit. I didn't know there was no hard drive with the 8.4 until after purchase. It seems this is going backwards. I had a 2012 GC Overland and had stored over 3000 songs on the HD. It also doesn't appear that the 8.4 will play FLAC files, but will play WAV. Has anyone else experienced this?

lstowell 10-10-2013 05:01 PM

Re: Hard drive/FLAC issues

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpageek (Post 907725)
I just bought a 2014 GC Summit. I didn't know there was no hard drive with the 8.4 until after purchase. It seems this is going backwards. I had a 2012 GC Overland and had stored over 3000 songs on the HD. It also doesn't appear that the 8.4 will play FLAC files, but will play WAV. Has anyone else experienced this?

Backwards would be going to floppy disks rather than a hard drive--or tape.
Forward would be using SSD or just native NVRAM where there are no moving parts to get shaken up, bearings wear out, heads stay too long and cook the media, etc.

There's a couple threads here for Media file formats for the 8.4.
Don't recall if Audacity can convert that format, but will bet if it won't natively theres a plug in for it. And the price of Audacity is donationware.

cpageek 10-10-2013 05:47 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'll check it out.

Radknight 10-12-2013 07:18 AM

I didn't know that the 8.4 doesn't play FLAC. That's pretty lame. What about ALAC ?

You can with DB Music Converter. It coverts pretty much everything especially if you have it in FLAC format to begin with.

Edit: meant dbPoweramp Music Converter

mswlogo 10-12-2013 08:05 AM

Flac is overkill for any car radio.

I've tested folks with $100K systems and they could
Not tell the difference between 256 kbps mp3 and flac.

I use a 64gb usb stick with 7250 mp3s and it works great.

Also check out dbpoweramp for the best conversion tool

I keep my master files as flac of course.

Zybane 10-12-2013 09:07 AM

Actually, having to play media from a built in hard drive is a far inferior option. Having a SD and USB slot for flash drives is awesome. You can remove the disks at will and change/update the drives with your computer.

I remember in my Rubicon transferring files from USB to the Nav hard drive took forever! Having two slots for 128+ GB combined storage space in a portable format is as good as your going to get.

I do wish they allowed .flac playback, especially for the H/K system. Definitely better than regular low kbps ripped MP3's, but harder to tell for better ripped ones. Almost all of my music is .flac, I just hate always having to convert stuff.

cpageek 10-12-2013 09:13 AM

I called Uconnect and the guy told me that the 8.4 will not read ALAC. He also cautioned me not to use a flash drive bigger than 32G. I'm going to rip my CD's to a portable hard drive in FLAC and then download to flash drives using MP3 at 320kps. I understand this is the wave of the future, but it was very convenient to have over 3000 songs on the hard drive of my 2012 Overland.

Zybane 10-12-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpageek (Post 909161)
I called Uconnect and the guy told me that the 8.4 will not read ALAC. He also cautioned me not to use a flash drive bigger than 32G. I'm going to rip my CD's to a portable hard drive in FLAC and then download to flash drives using MP3 at 320kps. I understand this is the wave of the future, but it was very convenient to have over 3000 songs on the hard drive of my 2012 Overland.

I think someone on here got 128GB drives to work. Not sure what that guy was talking about "caution", not like if you plug in a drive over 32GB the Uconnect is going to blow up. It will work or it wont.

mswlogo 10-13-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zybane (Post 909458)
I think someone on here got 128GB drives to work. Not sure what that guy was talking about "caution", not like if you plug in a drive over 32GB the Uconnect is going to blow up. It will work or it wont.

I agree, 64GB works fine too.

I forget what limit Windows default utils won't format Fat32. It might be 32GB. So above that Jeep/Chrysler may get lots of confused customer calls with exFat and NTFS formatted larger sticks which won't work.

mswlogo 10-13-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpageek (Post 909161)

I have 7250 MP3 at 256 on 64GB and much prefer SSD over a mechanical drive. It's the USB interface that is the bottleneck so HDD isn't any better.

It is a pain having to do conversions. But then again I'd probably need over 128GB to fit all my FLACs and the transfer time over USB is also a killer.

I can convert my entire library to any format in just a few clicks with dbpoweramp. But it takes all night to run and write to the USB stick.

By the way if you have any MP3's mixed into your library you don't want the tools to Convert MP3 to MP3 or you will lose some quality.

So I copy all my MP3's first. Then do the entire library and tell it not to "overwrite" any files I manually copied first.

Willx 10-13-2013 09:59 AM

TMK, if you want to plug in a USB hard Drive with 500 Gigs that will work. the USB Ports were designed to handle high Amperage external devices.

I do disagree with this being a step backwards, considering the failure rates of hard drives in vehicles.

The 32GB limit is a recommended size when running updates from a USB stick

Todd3.6 10-13-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mswlogo (Post 909107)
Also check out dbpoweramp for the best conversion tool

Seriously?
$38 for a one user license?

Why not just download/use fre:ac for free (Open Source):
fre:ac - free audio converter

The idea that you have to pay for good software is so old school. Most of the software I use on my Windows machine is either Open Source or free.

Of course my Linux server is all Open Source and/or Free. :D