Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   Breaking in Engine (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/breaking-in-engine-66556.html)

buttsie 10-11-2013 06:04 AM

Breaking in Engine

Hi guys

So..... breaking in the engine gently.... Can someone better define gently for me. Is it speed or RPM that I should be focused on?

I got my miles and KM mixed up and have driven my one week old brand new SRT pretty hard in the last couple of days :whistle:

jim383 10-11-2013 07:03 AM

Re: Breaking in Engine

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttsie (Post 908340)
Hi guys

So..... breaking in the engine gently.... Can someone better define gently for me. Is it speed or RPM that I should be focused on?

I got my miles and KM mixed up and have driven my one week old brand new SRT pretty hard in the last couple of days :whistle:

I saw a vidio of chrysler building a challenger from ground up and they also showed the engine being put togeather and b4 the engine went into the car it hit the dyno as all engines do and they ran it wide open and said THIS ENGINE MADE THE HP IT WAS SUPPOSE TO SO IT IS OK LOL.. This engine was a 5.7 and I GUESS THEY CALL THAT BREAKING IN THE ENGINE EASY LOL.

Wheelman 10-11-2013 11:13 AM

Just keep it simple.

Don't put your foot down all the way, don't rev the engine into the hi rpm range.

Roll on pulls are much easier on components that stop light pulls.

lstowell 10-11-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wheelman (Post 908463)
Just keep it simple.

Don't put your foot down all the way, don't rev the engine into the hi rpm range.

Roll on pulls are much easier on components that stop light pulls.

Steady engine speeds tend to be worse than a bit of mild hotrodding.

As for the dyno, wonder if that came from old hot rodder folklore that after doing an engine rebuild you put in non-detergent oil, run the thing to redline several times, drive it a bit, then change the oil. This was when older cylinder prep and rings could take some time to seat and seal.

silvermax04 10-11-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttsie (Post 908340)
Hi guys

um I don't think gently is the word you want to be using with break in.
Below is right from the current SRT owners manual. Occasional full throttle is good for break in and then dive normal/moderately not gently.

"Drive moderately during the first 500 mi (800 km). After
the initial 60 mi (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80
or 90 km/h) are desirable.
While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the
limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in.
However, wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can

be detrimental and should be avoided."

buttsie 10-12-2013 06:40 AM

Thanks guys, very much appreciated. I think i might be driving within the ranges... 270 km to go.... :D