Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Gas pump stops before tank is full (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/gas-pump-stops-before-tank-is-full-66561.html)

SoulStealer 10-11-2013 08:19 AM

Gas pump stops before tank is full

The last couple times I filled up the pump stops before the tank is full. Tank is at 50-70% of the way. Should I keep pumping after it auto shuts or not.

j.fiore 10-11-2013 09:15 AM

Re: Gas pump stops before tank is full

I used to have the same problem on my G35 coupe. Sometimes it would only let me put 10 or 15$ of gas when i was on empty.

The problem was with the design of the fuel filler neck. Air pockets/vapours would get trapped and somehow the backflow prevention on the pump would get triggered. It was a TSB, but I bought the car when the warranty was already over, and I didnt want to pay to fix it. The solution on the TSB was to replace with a revised filler neck.

What i noticed was: 1) it only happened at shell and petro-canada gas stations. It didnt ever happen at esso. 2) if I only held the nozzle at 3/4 of the way, it would actually fill up and then stop when it was actually full.

No idea if this is any where near the same issue as I used to have, but it sounds the same and that is what I did to deal with it. I really hope that this doesnt become an issue with the jeep too. I havent had any issues yet, but I've only filled up twice.

bill_de 10-11-2013 09:19 AM

If the tank isn't full ... Yes.

Sometimes it is just a matter of the angle of the nozzle. Try pulling it out a little or rotate it a little.

---

jkasch 10-11-2013 10:04 PM

The first time I tried to put gas in my Overland, I couldn't get it to take more than a half tank. I even called the dealer to ask WTH.

I've decided that the nozzle has to go in a minimum distance and if you get one with a long coil on the spout that prevents this, you won't be able to fill it. I tried a different pump and there was no problem.

Zhe Wiz 10-12-2013 09:36 AM

Our Prius does this with certain pumps as well. My solution? (Don't laugh!) Pull the nozzle out, turn it upside down, re-insert it and start again. For whatever reason, that seems to make it less sensitive to the back pressure. It still shuts off, but only when full.

Works for me in the Prius, not sure how it will work with the JGC, I don't own one yet. :-(

Zhe Wiz

SoulStealer 10-12-2013 03:02 PM

Thanks guys. Tried it at another more modern Mobil pump and it never stopped. Maybe the older pumps have more sensitive sensors

berk483 10-13-2013 09:32 AM

I've encountered this as well and pulling out the nozzle a little bit helps. It will still shut off when full just don't push the nozzle all the way in.

Peter_K 10-13-2013 09:49 AM

Geez...all this talk about pulling out before being finished...

:D

Bostondan77 10-13-2013 08:22 PM

lol this became a funny thread with a bunch of refrences to some things lol but this has happened to my chevy avalanche and my gf kia, if you flip it up side down it will work.

Peter_K 10-13-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostondan77 (Post 909977)
lol this became a funny thread with a bunch of refrences to some things lol but this has happened to my chevy avalanche and my gf kia, if you flip it up side down it will work.

WAY too much information :D