Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   off-roading in NJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/off-roading-in-nj-66562.html)

nj newb 10-11-2013 08:54 AM

off-roading in NJ
 
I want to off-road in NJ, looks like there's a lot of trails in the Pine Barrens in the Wharton State Park...have never been there, nor have I off-roaded.

So I need advice.

Please chime in with what I'll need and if you have any experience with these trails. Not looking for anything extreme, given I've never tried this...just looking to drive along some dirt trails. Will be with another truck, he's never done this either, but I figure it would be smart to be with someone in case either of us get stuck and need to get pulled out.

I have a stock '14 limited, on 20's, which probably won't be the best for off-road, but again I'm not looking to be going over huge rocks or anything crazy.

found a few videos of others in that area:
Wheeling the Pine Barrens - YouTube

gaidin43 10-11-2013 09:07 AM

off-roading in NJ
 
You will be fine down there. I did it with a fully loaded 3500 suburban. It has a few 1ft deep puddles but that is only after it rains. The rest is mostly rolling sandy trails and a few obstacles. There is a ranger station you can visit before going in for suggestions too, but the park is completely open otherwise.

Shannon 10-11-2013 09:21 AM

Re: off-roading in NJ
 
Thing to remember when off roading is to go SLOW (5-10 mph max-up to 20 on flats). Keep it in 4 high unless it gets stuck or bogs down, then shift into 4 low. Keep it in lower gears, and when going down hills, avoid using your brakes, and allow the compression of the engine to keep you going slow (or in the new jeeps, use the hill descent control). If you get a lot of slipping when driving, you can also let some air out of your tires before you go off road (drop them down to 20-25 PSI) for better traction. Just remember to bring the PSI back up when you get on the road. (I have a small compressor that plugs into the cigarette lighter for this). Most of all, tread lightly (leave no trace you were there - no garbage, no damage to the environment).
After you do this, you will become addicted. Most of all, have fun!!!

nj newb 10-11-2013 09:37 AM

Re: off-roading in NJ
 
awesome, any resources online? I've been trying to find trail maps, but no luck so far.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaidin43 (Post 908394)
You will be fine down there. I did it with a filled loaded 3500 suburban. It has a few 1ft deep puddles but that is only after it rains. The rest is mostly rolling sandy trails and a few obstacles. There is a ranger station you can visit before going in for suggestions too, but the park is completely open otherwise.


nj newb 10-11-2013 09:39 AM

Re: off-roading in NJ
 
I was looking into a compressor and was interested in the VIAIR 85P, but read it draws 14.5 amps and our power outlets are rated for 13...any suggestions?

also, I don't have tow hooks, would you recommend getting them in case i need to be strapped and towed out?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shannon (Post 908401)
Thing to remember when off roading is to go SLOW (5-10 mph max-up to 20 on flats). Keep it in 4 high unless it gets stuck or bogs down, then shift into 4 low. Keep it in lower gears, and when going down hills, avoid using your brakes, and allow the compression of the engine to keep you going slow (or in the new jeeps, use the hill descent control). If you get a lot of slipping when driving, you can also let some air out of your tires before you go off road (drop them down to 20-25 PSI) for better traction. Just remember to bring the PSI back up when you get on the road. (I have a small compressor that plugs into the cigarette lighter for this). Most of all, tread lightly (leave no trace you were there - no garbage, no damage to the environment).
After you do this, you will become addicted. Most of all, have fun!!!


gaidin43 10-11-2013 10:07 AM

Yes to the tow hooks. They are very cheap to buy and easy to install. We'll worth it for snow storms or off roading. I've pulled people out in places like Hoboken during snow storms with them!

Get a good recovery tow strap, bring a few 2x4 about a foot long each (for your jack if you need it to keep it from sinking into the sand/mud), a shovel (I keep a folded etool in my jeep year round). With those basic items you should be good.

Shannon 10-11-2013 10:32 AM

Re: off-roading in NJ
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gaidin43 (Post 908430)
Yes to the tow hooks. They are very cheap to buy and easy to install. We'll worth it for snow storms or off roading. I've pulled people out in places like Hoboken during snow storms with them!

Get a good recovery tow strap, bring a few 2x4 about a foot long each (for your jack if you need it to keep it from sinking into the sand/mud), a shovel (I keep a folded etool in my jeep year round). With those basic items you should be good.

Agreed :thumbsup:

lstowell 10-11-2013 04:02 PM

Re: off-roading in NJ
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shannon (Post 908401)
Thing to remember when off roading is to go SLOW (5-10 mph max-up to 20 on flats). Keep it in 4 high unless it gets stuck or bogs down, then shift into 4 low. Keep it in lower gears, and when going down hills, avoid using your brakes, and allow the compression of the engine to keep you going slow (or in the new jeeps, use the hill descent control). If you get a lot of slipping when driving, you can also let some air out of your tires before you go off road (drop them down to 20-25 PSI) for better traction. Just remember to bring the PSI back up when you get on the road. (I have a small compressor that plugs into the cigarette lighter for this). Most of all, tread lightly (leave no trace you were there - no garbage, no damage to the environment).
After you do this, you will become addicted. Most of all, have fun!!!

I'd suggest taking another tow capable vehicle and good tow straps if you wait until you get stuck to shift to 4 low.

Actually I'd suggest taking another tow capable vehicle and experienced off roader with you the first couple times.

After a bit, you'll get much better at spotting trouble in advance and getting into correct high/low mode in advance. ... although a few times digging one out where you waited till you were stuck can be highly educational it isn't that much fun.

2012 Summit 10-11-2013 04:42 PM

Re: off-roading in NJ
 
I've wheeled all over the Pine Barrens. You will find unpaved roads and for the most part you don't even need 4WD. If you go after a lot of rain (like today) you will come across some puddles. Here's a link with some information:

Off-Roading in the Pine Barrens of NJ

2012 Summit 10-11-2013 04:49 PM

Re: off-roading in NJ
 
3 Attachment(s)
Here are some photos.

2012 Summit 10-11-2013 04:50 PM

Re: off-roading in NJ
 
3 Attachment(s)
Some more.

MSCA 10-11-2013 10:51 PM

Re: off-roading in NJ
 
Yeah, mostly just dirt roads there. But you gotta watch out if you take a shiny new Jeep there that you don't scratch it up on the more narrow parts with brush on both sides.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community