Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   Warning! Check your oil from dealer. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/warning-check-your-oil-from-dealer-66580.html)

RAC88 10-11-2013 05:00 PM

Warning! Check your oil from dealer.

So it was time for my first oil change and after the dealer finished up, I went on home. While I was filing my receipt away in my office, I did a quick scan of the paperwork and noticed my dealer filled my car with 5W-40 oil. Having been on these forums long enough, I know that's incorrect. Our cars are supposed to use 0W-40 Pennzoil Ultra Synthetic. So I went back to the dealer.

Upon questioning the service manager, they told me that Chrysler said that 5W-40 is perfectly fine to use. All I could think of in my head as he said this, was BS! So I said fine and went on my merry way and decided to call SRT.

First off, I was routed to Dodge customer service (BARF!) because apparently the SRT hotline was inundated with calls. I'll let this slide because I'm sure SRT is having some growing pains with their success. The dodge lady finally got me through to SRT after 20 minutes of waiting. I explained my situation and she said the dealer was flat out WRONG and to only put the 0W-40 in my Jeep. She then proceeded to call the dealer and arranged for a new oil change free of charge the next day.

The dealership was a little embarrassed but they never really admitted wrongdoing. It makes me wonder how many times they've done this. Ignorance? I think not...

Here's what sickens me, they are the ONLY SRT certified dealer in Kansas City! I drove out of my way to make sure I was giving my car the best service and this is what happens. So please pay close attention when you all take your jeep in for an oil change! We paid for the best and we deserve the best oil and service. Good luck to everyone else.

RAC

brent 10-11-2013 05:37 PM

Re: Warning! Check your oil from dealer.

I've had my share of experiences with Jeep dealers! The one that pissed me off the most was an extreme underfill on my transmission. I don't believe the newer Jeeps have a way to check this any longer.

But this is precisely why I stopped taking my Jeeps into the dealer for oil changes. Brakes, 30/60/90 service intervals, the dealer service center makes sense.

I don't believe you have to have the dealer change your oil to keep the warranty. That was another myth I had to overcome. But doing your own oil changes might save you some headache and give you satisfaction of a job done right. It also doesn't take very long once you get it all dialed in.... Although the SRT might require some ramps to get underneath. My WK is high enough stock that I can slide underneath and pull the plug.

Anyway, just a suggestion. :) Nice looking ride!

Scottina06 10-11-2013 07:40 PM

this is why I buy my own oil by the quart and take it to the dealer. Its cheaper that way too

Artofnoize 10-11-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 908888)
this is why I buy my own oil by the quart and take it to the dealer. Its cheaper that way too

Oil and filter.

Scottina06 10-11-2013 08:26 PM

yep...I use the K&N gold part #hp 2010

816jared 10-11-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAC88 (Post 908793)
Here's what sickens me, they are the ONLY SRT certified dealer in Kansas City! I drove out of my way to make sure I was giving my car the best service and this is what happens.

which one was it?

I haven't had to have any service done that I couldn't do myself yet, just trying to get a feel for what are some of the better Jeep dealerships in the city. The only dealership I've had dealings with since I purchased my WK was Lee's Summit Dodge, and definitely don't plan on giving them any of my business in the future.

Artofnoize 10-11-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 908915)
yep...I use the K&N gold part #hp 2010

Great minds think alike

mrmaker 10-11-2013 10:28 PM

Unless it's a scheduled service or warranty issue, my SRT is not seeing a dealer service dept. When i rang around for first oil change at 2500ks each dealer gave me a diff viscosity,claiming it's a climatic thing, load of BS. Went and purchased own oil and filter and had my friend who owns a gas station with hoist change it for me, atleast i then know what's going in it.

RAC88 10-11-2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 816jared (Post 908934)
which one was it? I haven't had to have any service done that I couldn't do myself yet, just trying to get a feel for what are some of the better Jeep dealerships in the city. The only dealership I've had dealings with since I purchased my WK was Lee's Summit Dodge, and definitely don't plan on giving them any of my business in the future.

Gladstone.

mlarco52 10-11-2013 11:05 PM

So what filter do you guys recommend? I have a 2012 srt8 and I run 0w40 mobil 1.

Scottina06 10-11-2013 11:22 PM

K&N Gold #hp2010

mlarco52 10-11-2013 11:50 PM

Cool will be picking it up with some more oil next week, thanks Scott.