Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   05 grand immobilized (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/05-grand-immobilized-66597.html)

hemi_shox 10-11-2013 11:40 PM

05 grand immobilized

So I had some strut work done and afterwards, I turned the car on and it started right up with no issues. A few seconds later, it shut off. I tried to start it back up and not a thing. The engine light came up, the service this n that messages came up, all gear had a box around them, and the red dot security light was blinking. I'm thinking that the anti theft has been activated and I'm wondering how to reset or get rid of it. I've tried both keys and neither work. No check engine codes or key messages appear. I've tried resetting the battery and that doesn't do the trick either.

So the real question, is there any way I can reset this myself so I can get my car started and running again? I'd rather not take it to the dealer but I understand if that's my only option. Just thought maybe someone who's been in this situation could drop some input or guide me towards some

Thanks in advance guys

hemi_shox 10-12-2013 01:00 AM

Re: 05 grand immobilized

Could this even be a battery issue? My tpms light goes off if I have a charger in and my remote entery doesn't either with one plugged in so I know there's at least one short. It does intermittently have a hard time starting(starter is two years old).

dr.lee.baugh 10-12-2013 08:46 AM

It sounds more like an electrical issue. I would check the battery and terminals to start. After that, I would start checking the various modules for a short or loose connection. That being said, electrical issues re usually pretty tough to troubleshoot. The immobilizer will always let you start the vehicle with the wrong key, it'll just shut down a few seconds later. It should not have to be reset or cleared after it has been activated, and should return to normal with a proper key.

Bikemobile 10-13-2013 12:47 PM

How old is the battery?

hemi_shox 10-13-2013 07:44 PM

The battery is from January of 10. The key locks and unlocks the car but no exterior lights come on. They don't turn on using the switch either. The some lights are fine. The REC unit displayed the Chrysler logo when I turned it on, it's never done that before. There's no honk when I lock the car. I tried a jump and that did nothing.

Really stumped and frustrated at the moment

Madanio24 10-14-2013 11:34 AM

Sometimes your battery can be so dead its not jumpable. Does it click or anything when you try to start?

hemi_shox 10-14-2013 11:55 AM

Everything clicks like it should when I try to start. Fans work, sound system, everything except headlights work

hemi_shox 10-14-2013 07:35 PM

Got it all figured out. What happened was, when I flipped the fuse boxes up to replace the strut mount, the two big connectors that attach to the fuse box closest to the battery came undone without me realizing. Plugged them back in, threw in a new battery just cuz and everything works like it should.

lll2for3lll 01-09-2014 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.lee.baugh (Post 909144)
It sounds more like an electrical issue. I would check the battery and terminals to start. After that, I would start checking the various modules for a short or loose connection. That being said, electrical issues re usually pretty tough to troubleshoot. The immobilizer will always let you start the vehicle with the wrong key, it'll just shut down a few seconds later. It should not have to be reset or cleared after it has been activated, and should return to normal with a proper key.

My WK started doing this moments ago. It cranks and runs fine but then shuts off after 3 seconds.

It will crank every time I turn the key but it will always shut off after 3 seconds.

Do I just need a new key?

WKYeti 01-09-2014 05:56 PM

Mine did this after sending my key through the washer.

lll2for3lll 01-09-2014 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WKYeti (Post 957257)
Mine did this after sending my key through the washer.

Are you talking about my post above?

WKYeti 01-09-2014 08:24 PM

Yep, it wouldnt recognize my chip. After letting it dry it worked fine. So maybe its a wet or damaged chip?