Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   fuel additives (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/fuel-additives-66612.html)

Chunderboy 10-12-2013 12:26 PM

fuel additives

Just wondering if it is: a good idea, bad idea or completely unnecessary to add a fuel additive/fuel line cleaner to the rig.

AAAA 10-12-2013 01:35 PM

Re: fuel additives

Don't think it is necessary.

Chunderboy 10-12-2013 01:49 PM

I was thinking the same thing but wanted to guage the boys. Along the same lines, what bait the fuel line treatment for the winter.

xJoshxx 10-12-2013 01:50 PM

Depends on the gas stations I've used fuel addtives to help get rid of the ethanol.

I've seen some high as 15%!

Chunderboy 10-12-2013 01:51 PM

I usually go to the cheapest place I can find..

ernestd 10-12-2013 01:54 PM

Only Shell gas for me.

Chunderboy 10-12-2013 02:01 PM

This might be an ignorant question, but doesn't it pretty much come from the same tap? I mean, I would assume the the cheaper stuff is pumped at the end of the line, but wouldn't a full additive help with that and level the playing field?

silvermax04 10-12-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunderboy (Post 909337)
This might be an ignorant question, but doesn't it pretty much come from the same tap? I mean, I would assume the the cheaper stuff is pumped at the end of the line, but wouldn't a full additive help with that and level the playing field?

It may all come from the same refinery tap but the additive packages or the lack of depends on the gas station name. most of the big names should be fine its the no name minimarts you need to be careful of you don't know what additives if any they have in them. Stick with big name gas stations and skip the minimart cheap gas and the snake oil in a bottle and you will be fine.

Chunderboy 10-12-2013 02:53 PM

Lol. Snake oil in a bottle.

Looks like everyone is basically on the same page, so it's good to see a universal stance from the boys.

moosehead 10-12-2013 03:35 PM

No, unless the rig will sit unused for six or more months, then Stabil is a good bit of insurance against phase separation of ethanol and perhaps condensation in the tank.

Others here will swear by Seafoam to clean out fuel lines and injectors, but just as many will throw the snake oil argument out there.

Chunderboy 10-12-2013 03:42 PM

So, even under normal driving conditions, there is no need for any additives? Even in the winter time? I just want to make sure my baby is always taken care of!

silvermax04 10-12-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunderboy (Post 909381)
So, even under normal driving conditions, there is no need for any additives? Even in the winter time? I just want to make sure my baby is always taken care of!

For normal use just run one of the big name brands of gas and you will be fine. I agree with moosehead if your jeep will be sitting for many months on end with out use, a fuel stabilizer is a good idea. Also don't waste money on running more octane than your engine can make use of. remember with octane more isn't always better even though the gas station marketing will want you to think that.