Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   How do I update my garmin navagation sys. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/how-do-i-update-my-garmin-navagation-sys-66653.html)

Paul Bernard 10-13-2013 03:45 PM

How do I update my garmin navagation sys.

I will have owned my 2013 JGC Ltd. for one year in a few weeks. I can't seem to find any instruction on how to update the in dash Garmin GPS. My wife has an after market Garmin given to her as a gift with life time upgrade. All's I do is plug it into my computer, go on line to gGarmin and within 1-2 hours its completely updated for the lower 48. Certainly can't plug my in dash into my computer. I have the 430 system, and it does have a CD player. Is that how I might up date it? Purchase a CD? The car was built in late july 2012 so it seems an update might be necessary. Your Comments would be appreciated. Thanks

jacko15 10-13-2013 05:43 PM

Re: How do I update my garmin navagation sys.

Here: GPS Navigation System | HERE | Navigation.com

Paradiso 10-13-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacko15 (Post 909899)

Can you bring your JGC to the dealer and have them upgrade the maps? Thinking maybe they buy a yearly copy for this service. The maps are about $150 but I have no idea what the dealer would charge.

jacko15 10-13-2013 09:28 PM

Don't know. Probably have to give your service department a call.

bill hall 10-15-2013 06:44 PM

You Need to purchase the DVD for the update I just did that takes about 4hrs to down load. Cost about $150. Not a good buy.will not do it again

bill_de 10-15-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill hall (Post 911325)
You Need to purchase the DVD for the update I just did that takes about 4hrs to down load. Cost about $150. Not a good buy.will not do it again

What year is your Jeep?

I just checked Navteq and they show no updates yet for the 2013 JGC. It says check back soon.

---

Paul Bernard 10-15-2013 07:57 PM

Thanks for doing that for me. Yes I just did it also and see the same thing. It seems new map updates are available every 6 months to a year. I purchased the life time map update for my portable Gps and was the best purchase I've ever made for $89. $150 for a DVD update seems a bit radical. I plan on driving out west next spring and that is why I am interested in doing it. I would certainly do it only once at that price. The car was built 15 months ago, seems an update should exist by now. Thanks

jacko15 10-15-2013 08:06 PM

From the reading I've done about factory built in nav units, the updates are usually around two years apart, and cost around $150 across most manufacturers. I knew this going in when I bought my '14 JGC. It's the first vehicle I've owned with a built in nav. I've been using a Garmin with lifetime updates for years. I really like the convenience and ease of use with the built in unit, but there are trade offs.

bill hall 10-16-2013 07:29 AM

My wk2 2011 was outdated almost from the get go.took about 6 weeks after order.