Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Mute Button (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/mute-button-66680.html)

gregoryab 10-14-2013 09:46 AM

Mute Button

Hello, I have a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and was wondering if there is a way to mute the radio other than completely turning it off.? The radio only mutes when there is an outgoing or incoming telephone call.

plynn7 10-14-2013 10:32 AM

Re: Mute Button

Have you tried pushing the volume control button, that's how you mute on the 14's.

gregoryab 10-14-2013 10:38 AM

The volume control button turns the radio off. I know it is not a big issue but my previous vehicle had the capability to mute without completely turning off the radio.

plynn7 10-14-2013 10:43 AM

If I remember correctly on my 11 there was a soft mute button on the touchscreen somewhere. I had the730N RER radio.

gregoryab 10-14-2013 11:04 AM

I have the 730N RHR radio and I haven't seen a soft mute button.

plynn7 10-14-2013 11:16 AM

I just tried to search the radio manual on Jeepowners.com and could not find anything referring to how to mute these radios. I could have sworn there was a soft mute button somewhere. I guess not, maybe someone with the RHR will chime in.

gregoryab 10-14-2013 04:05 PM

I found some instructions but it didn't work for me. The instructions are: Select the radio band by touching either the AM, FM or SAT soft-key. Find the station to store button. After the BEEP, say "mute on" (or "mute off).

hotspur 10-14-2013 06:39 PM

What do you mean by "mute?" If you mean turn the sound completely off, just push the volume button. The radio is still "on." It's just muted, like the mute button does on your TV remote control. If by mute you mean lower the volume but not turn it off completely, then there is no way other than to turn the volume knob counterclockwise.

gregoryab 10-14-2013 07:05 PM

My other vehicle had a button labeled "mute". I pushed it the sound was muted. On this vehicle when I push in the volume button the radio is completely off (the clock) is showing. As I stated before, it's not a big deal. I was just wondering if this vehicle had that capability; hard or soft key.

Jim_in_PA 10-15-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotspur (Post 910530)
What do you mean by "mute?" If you mean turn the sound completely off, just push the volume button. The radio is still "on." It's just muted, like the mute button does on your TV remote control. If by mute you mean lower the volume but not turn it off completely, then there is no way other than to turn the volume knob counterclockwise.

Pushing the volume knob also turns off the display as you indicate...including the nav map. The only way I've been able to find to mute on the fly is the just use the volume buttons on the back-side of the steering wheel to quickly reduce volume.