Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Paddle Shifters - Hate 'em (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/paddle-shifters-hate-em-66705.html)

jkasch 10-14-2013 07:00 PM

Paddle Shifters - Hate 'em

I have no use for them on my '14 Overland. I've bumped them accidentally on two occasions. Once, in heavy 4 lane traffic when I wanted to accelerate and was momentarily stuck in 8th gear, so there was no acceleration. The second time was pulling out into traffic from a stop and it was stuck in first and revved nearly to red line. Embarrassing.

Before you tell me to learn to drive, my other car is a supercharged manual 6-speed '04 GTO. I just have no use for paddle shifters on my Jeep.

Does anyone know of a way to disable the paddles? My wife is afraid of it happening to her. Can I pull a fuse?

Jamesla30 10-14-2013 07:16 PM

You must not live anywhere near mountains :)

I would think pulling a fuse isnt possible because there probably isnt an independent fuse for it. But a dealer tech might be able to tell you.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

jkasch 10-14-2013 07:38 PM

Re: Paddle Shifters - Hate 'em

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamesla30 (Post 910544)
You must not live anywhere near mountains :)

I would think pulling a fuse isnt possible because there probably isnt an independent fuse for it. But a dealer tech might be able to tell you.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

You're right, no mountains in Michigan. :lol:

MSCA 10-14-2013 07:59 PM

Wait....if you tap one of the shift paddles, the trans will automatically go into manual shift mode? Okay, didn't know that. So if it happens by accident, what's the quickest way to get it out of manual shift mode? Tap the shifter?

JeepGCOverland 10-14-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSCA (Post 910590)
Wait....if you tap one of the shift paddles, the trans will automatically go into manual shift mode? Okay, didn't know that. So if it happens by accident, what's the quickest way to get it out of manual shift mode? Tap the shifter?

Hold the "+" paddle down for ~2 seconds.

jkasch 10-14-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSCA (Post 910590)

I just yank the console shifter down once and it goes back instantly. The first time it happened in the heavy traffic I was going 55 up a hill and the vehicle would not accelerate at all. I figured it out on the fly but it took me a while. Now that I know what to do, it's just annoying.

donsmith249 10-14-2013 08:34 PM

I agree there kind of a pain. I am a tech and have the WiTech Diag tool and know of know way to disable them (I would probably disable mine). Good to know about the :hold paddle for 2 seconds I'll try that in the AM.

moosehead 10-14-2013 08:38 PM

Can't speak for the 14' steering wheel, but on the SRT Steering wheel you can remove the paddles by popping off rear panels behind each one. They are mounted with one or two small nuts IIRC.

jkasch 10-14-2013 09:07 PM

Thanks! I'll have to take a look.

mac5217 10-14-2013 09:47 PM

Not crazy about them either. Maybe Im just use to having the manual shifting on the actrual shifter of my old Audi A6, that was more fun to drive then using paddle shifters. I think the 8 speed with Sport mode is great, almost no need for manual shifter paddles....

Mac

mswlogo 10-14-2013 09:58 PM

I have not accidently hit them yet and don't use them all that often.

But you are right there should be a way to disable them.

I've turned them on and forgot once, slowed down to a light and then went to take off and it stayed in first for a very long time. WTF. But that was of course my fault.

I can see that happening accidently.

JustinS 10-15-2013 02:24 AM

Well, I love 'em!
If you remove/disable them you won't be able to change hill descent-ascent control speed.