Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Remove Text Signature?? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/remove-text-signature-66726.html)

Born2golf 10-15-2013 10:33 AM

Remove Text Signature??

I did not see this as an advertised feature in the new rev, but since I updated to 13.38.52 any text sent using voice is appended with a signature that states "Sent from my Jeep". Which I personally find a little douchey. I am unable to see where I can remove this (Though I was driving at the time so my investigation was not complete).

Anyone know how to remove this?

Born2golf 10-23-2013 10:35 PM

Re: Remove Text Signature??

Bump...

Is anyone else troubled by the automated signature? Anyone know how to remove it?

Scottina06 10-24-2013 02:32 AM

Ive had a few mention it....Ilooked through the uconnect screens. But I dont get it...whats so troubling about it?

bill_de 10-24-2013 06:36 AM

I see lots of emails that say sent from my iPhone, iPad, Android etc. In most cases the user can either delete or put their own signature in its place. I think Apple was first to use this free advertising device. Most people don't know they can or don't bother to change it.

To answer Scott, some people might not want the person they are texting to know they are in their Jeep, and not at their desk ... or other situations. ;)

I sent an email to customer service. We'll see what they come up with.

---

SNUKE 10-24-2013 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 916230)
I see lots of emails that say sent from my iPhone, iPad, Android etc.

They all drive me nuts, and changed mine straight away.
The From Tapa Talk one I see on here drives me nuts too.

Born2golf 10-24-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 916230)
I see lots of emails that say sent from my iPhone, iPad, Android etc. In most cases the user can either delete or put their own signature in its place. I think Apple was first to use this free advertising device. Most people don't know they can or don't bother to change it.

To answer Scott, some people might not want the person they are texting to know they are in their Jeep, and not at their desk ... or other situations. ;)

I sent an email to customer service. We'll see what they come up with.

---

Thank You for inquiring with CustServ.

Your point about not wanting to let people know the sender is away from their desk is great. But that was not my primary concern and my gripe with the jeep signature is a bit different. I don't like the "sent by Android" or "Sent by iphone" signatures, but I don't find them arrogant, because one would expect to receive a text message from one of those devices. My problem with the jeep signature is that, to me, it seems very much of a "look at me" statement, because the text is coming from an unexpected source.

And to "snukes" point, many people, including myself, remove the "sent by" signatures straight away. So the problem here is not that the signature is present, it is that we cannot change it.

ExcursionDiesel 10-24-2013 08:58 AM

I despise it also. I paid for the device and don't want it to be used as an underhanded advertising platform. I change or delete all signatures. Its MY communication I am sending, not from Chrysler, Microsoft, Apple, or Samsung. Hijacking the signature and making it unchangeable is unethical.

Bborzell 10-24-2013 09:16 AM

Simple fix. Buy an iPhone. You will have to remove the sig in the iPhone settings, but I assure you that no text messages that go out from your Jeep will say anything, much less, "Sent from my Jeep".:rolleyes:

hotspur 10-24-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2golf (Post 916268)
My problem with the jeep signature is that, to me, it seems very much of a "look at me" statement, because the text is coming from an unexpected source.

And there's also the question: Why should anyone else care where you sent it from?

Born2golf 10-24-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotspur (Post 916300)
And there's also the question: Why should anyone else care where you sent it from?

If people didn't care, why would Jeep do it in the first place? This is clearly a statement made by jeep that says "our vehicles can send text messages". And I'm sure there are people that either don't care or are proud of it, and they are welcome to their opinion. I'm not one of them, and I should be given the choice to remove it. Why is that so hard to understand?

Born2golf 10-24-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bborzell (Post 916285)
Simple fix. Buy an iPhone. You will have to remove the sig in the iPhone settings, but I assure you that no text messages that go out from your Jeep will say anything, much less, "Sent from my Jeep".:rolleyes:

Wow, that is really a snobbish apple thing to say (not surprisingly) and Sorry, but you are completely wrong. This has nothing to do with the phone. The vehicle captures your spoken text and then appends it with the signature text BEFORE sending the combined text to the phone. The phone has no idea it is a signature, it just thinks it is part of the crafted message. So unless you plan on building a filter in your text software that actually looks for and removes certain text your arrogant iPhone solution is garbage.

Hope you didn't hurt yourself rolling your eyes. Unless you can contribute to the discussion positively, please refrain from unless commentary and inaccurate "assurances". And especially leave the dismissive attitude at the door.

Bborzell 10-24-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2golf (Post 916407)
Wow, that is really a snobbish apple thing to say (not surprisingly) and Sorry, but you are completely wrong. This has nothing to do with the phone. The vehicle captures your spoken text and then appends it with the signature text BEFORE sending the combined text to the phone. The phone has no idea it is a signature, it just thinks it is part of the crafted message. So unless you plan on building a filter in your text software that actually looks for and removes certain text your arrogant iPhone solution is garbage.

Hope you didn't hurt yourself rolling your eyes. Unless you can contribute to the discussion positively, please refrain from unless commentary and inaccurate "assurances". And especially leave the dismissive attitude at the door.

People who have difficulty understanding sarcasm frequently mistake it for snobbery. They often then go on to embarrass themselves by lecturing in a holier than thou, snobbish manner as though they really think that they have editorial rights to an internet thread.

The point was that iPhones don't allow outgoing text messages at all, nada, zippo. That fact is common knowledge to most folks here (as it might also be to you if you had read what I wrote about nothing going out as text messages with iPhones).

A deep breath along with a look in a mirror might be in order for your next move.