Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Visual Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/)
-   -   Paint chipped on hood last year.. now rusted?! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/paint-chipped-on-hood-last-year-now-rusted-6675.html)

brooke 02-18-2010 01:42 PM

Paint chipped on hood last year.. now rusted?!

Okay, so as some of you may know, I had my engine rebuilt about a year ago. I was without the jeep for nearly two months and when I finally got it back, there were greasy hand prints etc all over my doors on the interior, grease on the floormats (which are STILL ruined), and it took a while for me to notice, but there was also a chipped area on the front of the hood where the latch is located. I was pissed about all this, but I ended up cleaning the grease and everything myself since the vehicle was repaired in another state (I had it repaired at the dealership I bought it from in Mississippi where my parents house is... I live in Tennessee...), and I didn't want to go without it anymore. Rentals are insane.

Anyway, now that you have the background story.. I haven't washed the thing in forever since we've had rain/snow/all kinds of crappy weather since December. I just now noticed today that the "chipped" area is now RUSTED and looks horrible. WTF can I do to fix this? I don't think just a bit of touchup paint inside of it is going to help...

http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/a...f/f2294a57.jpg

This is ridiculous looking... :( Help!

Chuck 02-18-2010 01:47 PM

Re: Paint chipped on hood last year.. now rusted?!

I don't think thats something that can smoothly touched up since its pretty deep. (Im not a body guy though). I think you'd have to repaint the whole thing if anything.

FlyinRyan 02-18-2010 01:49 PM

That doesn't look good. I would recommend sanding down that spot, and touching it up. it'd be alot of work if you want it to look like factory.

brooke 02-18-2010 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck (Post 153441)
I don't think thats something that can smoothly touched up since its pretty deep. (Im not a body guy though). I think you'd have to repaint the whole thing if anything.

Sighh... I was hoping it would be an easy-ish fix I could do myself. Thanks for the input though. :) I definitely don't have the $$ to spend to have the entire hood repainted, plus that's a lot for such a tiny spot. :(

brooke 02-18-2010 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleepy4.7 (Post 153444)
That doesn't look good. I would recommend sanding down that spot, and touching it up. it'd be alot of work if you want it to look like factory.

I do have a friend who owns a body shop... I wonder how much he would charge to do that for me... I'm pretty sure he has a bit of my paint from my last major fix.. haha.

Scottina06 02-18-2010 01:52 PM

yep...let him sand the rust off, add some primer or filler and then touch it up with your paint. that will atleast keep it from rusting.

brooke 02-18-2010 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fasterthanJoesSRT (Post 153449)
yep...let him sand the rust off, add some primer or filler and then touch it up with your paint. that will atleast keep it from rusting.

Yeah that's the main reason I want something done to it since it looks so awful... even from far away. :(

I was able to live with it last year because there was no rust. I have no idea when this appeared -- it had to have been within the last month.

Scottina06 02-18-2010 02:03 PM

I believe the wj hood are steel......so they will rust if exposed

08Hemi 02-18-2010 04:23 PM

you can make it look a lot better with some sandpaper, primer and body-color paint...just take your time and you are looking at $20 and a couple hours including time for the paints to dry

Martyp 02-18-2010 04:28 PM

If you know a painter I'm sure you'll get a good deal on getting the entire hood sprayed. It's not gonna be a difficult job and it is easily removed from the vehicle.

AcidCold 02-19-2010 03:32 PM

Brooke, if you were to see my Jeep up close.. you would freak out! :)
I just gave up on it since it's just to much.
Hope you can solve your problem with little money down.

Motteler621 02-19-2010 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcidCold (Post 154252)
Brooke, if you were to see my Jeep up close.. you would freak out! :)
I just gave up on it since it's just to much.
Hope you can solve your problem with little money down.

well thats cause you offroad yours though.