Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   RA3 omissions - bad surprise for Laredo buyers (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/ra3-omissions-bad-surprise-for-laredo-buyers-66764.html)

FStephenMasek 10-16-2013 10:49 AM

RA3 omissions - bad surprise for Laredo buyers

Since my wife and I both like the cloth seats, as they are cool in hot weather and there is no sliding on them, I studied the Loredo. Yes, navigation can be added to the RA3 head unit, but it omits the traffic data and various other important functions. I learned that by accident, searching for the upgrade price, and stumbling on a forum for dealership personnel. For travel with rental cars, we bought a Magellan portable unit with a 7" screen, traffic data, and lifetime free updates from Fry's for $99, and it works well. It seems that Chrysler is taking a very big risk, as people who pay $600 to obtain the navigation on a Loredo will discover they have been cheated with a unit lacking important functions which were readily available many years ago, and which are provided by far less expensive portable units.

bill_de 10-16-2013 10:58 AM

Re: RA3 omissions - bad surprise for Loredo buyers

If people do their homework, they won't be surprised.

Milous talked about the lack of features in the upgradeable nav, even before the first one hit JNAP.

I think all the built in Nav units are over priced and keep costing because map updates are expensive. But, we pay for convenience, an intangible.

FStephenMasek 10-16-2013 06:05 PM

Map updates expensive? The $99 Magellan with a 7" screen we bought comes with free lifetime updates.

2014 LAREDO 10-16-2013 07:13 PM

No nav in our LAREDO. We're old school and use paper maps they're even cheaper. (and probably less problems.) ;)

mswlogo 10-17-2013 06:45 AM

The traffic feature is pretty minimal, I use my Android for traffic.

I don't even think it adjusts the eta based on traffic where android does.

The factory nav upgrade is a bargain. You get the backup camera, which I didn't know and now consider manditory. And I love the HD radio which I did know about and was the reason I upgraded.

To me the limited is the min trim. The list of advantages is too long.

I mainly got limited for its standard QTII. But I would have got it just for the backup camera.

My wife and I used to have the same argument on cloth seats. Until we owned leather. Now both cars have leather.

I would have got a higher trim, but your forced to get panorama sun roof.

ColdCase 10-17-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FStephenMasek (Post 911939)
Map updates expensive? The $99 Magellan with a 7" screen we bought comes with free lifetime updates.

I think you get what you pay for, you probably should have done more research. You may not have to replace maps annually, but will probably have to replace the device itself. Not saying Magellan is terrible, but the low end doesn't have a great reputation for durability, ease of use, or performance. If you are satisfied with it you are probably easily satisfied. But then it is what one would expect for $99. On the other hand, to get the features and performance of the built in Nav in a portable, you'd only need to spend maybe $400-$500.

AAAA 10-17-2013 08:38 AM

Just goes to show; there is a method to Chrysler's madness.

f1anatic 10-17-2013 08:39 AM

the traffic feature is quite smart and useful. It just has to be correctly set up in its setup menu to incorporate routing and avoidance types.

Specx 10-17-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 911676)

Milous talked about the lack of features in the upgradeable nav, even before the first one hit JNAP.

I think all the built in Nav units are over priced and keep costing because map updates are expensive. But, we pay for convenience, an intangible.

Yep, once Milous revealed this I knew I was getting the RA4 over the RA3 especially since you can't upgrade radios.

FStephenMasek 10-17-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdCase (Post 912224)
I think you get what you pay for, you probably should have done more research.

Why? That $99 Magellan works just fine for when we travel (rental cars), and in our Mercedes-Benz. I put a Pioneer AVIC-Z1 in my Explorer seven years ago, and it is far fancier, but that whole system (Navigation radio with hard disc, backup camera, Bluetooth, Sat. radio., Nav. traffic, and speakers) was $2,500. Now we both have smart phones, mine the giant screen Galaxy Note. The maps over color aerial photos on it are wonderful, but even that screen is smaller than I want. I'm not buying a Tesla just to get the screen in it, but that would sure be nice.

lstowell 10-17-2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 911676)

Built in updates expensive?

As for a real GPS, you can buy them with lifetime updates. Seems they were getting concerned about Google Mobile Maps... dunno if that will change now that google has been evil and is not keeping it updated well except on Android.

No built in GPS can compare with price/features of any real GPS. Some can cheat a bit by using vehicle movement information from other vehicle sources to avoid loss of signal issues.

Convenience on the other hand is what the built ins have. Although they are a tad clumsy to take out and use in hiking mode unless you are the Incredible Hulk.

FStephenMasek 10-17-2013 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lstowell (Post 912509)
... built ins .... are a tad clumsy to take out and use in hiking mode unless you are the Incredible Hulk.

Especially the 12V battery!