Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Overland selec speed (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/overland-selec-speed-66794.html)

Geebee69 10-17-2013 04:19 AM

Overland selec speed

I just got my 2014 overland crd with OAPii and I realised after delivery that it had no up hill selec speed. The dealer now tels me that up hill ascent control is not available on the MY14 overland CRD. Is this true ? He informed me that it's only available on the 5.7v8 .( Australia model). Any one out there have up hill ascent control?

f1anatic 10-17-2013 05:50 AM

Re: Overland selec speed

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geebee69 (Post 912159)
I just got my 2014 overland crd with OAPii and I realised after delivery that it had no up hill selec speed. The dealer now tels me that up hill ascent control is not available on the MY14 overland CRD. Is this true ? He informed me that it's only available on the 5.7v8 .( Australia model). Any one out there have up hill ascent control?

Play with your UCONNECT settings. I have it on the lowly V6 - it is a software setup and it is automatic, only available in 4-LO after you enable it in UCONNECT.

bill_de 10-17-2013 06:31 AM

Hill assist and hill ascent control IIRC are two different things.

Hill assist is the one that is selected in the EVIC.

At least that is my understanding.

Edit - I just looked at my Jeep and the owner's manual. The manual shows a picture of the "Select Terrain Switch" in the section on 'Hill Decent Control'. On the button for this feature it shows a picture of a Jeep going down hill. At the end of the section they show a picture of the "Select Terrain Switch" with a picture on that button of a Jeep on level ground. In the caption they refer to this as 'Select Speed Control'. That is the picture on mine. I could not find any other reference in the OM v-5 to 'Select Speed Control'. I will guess that one is ascent/descent control and the other is only descent control.

Maybe Willx or Milous can shed some light on this.

---

---

Willx 10-17-2013 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geebee69 (Post 912159)

This is correct for the CRD, I will explain further.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 912186)
Hill assist and hill ascent control IIRC are two different things.

Hill assist is the one that is selected in the EVIC.

At least that is my understanding.

Edit - I just looked at my Jeep and the owner's manual. The manual shows a picture of the "Select Terrain Switch" in the section on 'Hill Decent Control'. On the button for this feature it shows a picture of a Jeep going down hill. At the end of the section they show a picture of the "Select Terrain Switch" with a picture on that button of a Jeep on level ground. In the caption they refer to this as 'Select Speed Control'. That is the picture on mine. I could not find any other reference in the OM v-5 to 'Select Speed Control'. I will guess that one is ascent/descent control and the other is only descent control.

Maybe Willx or Milous can shed some light on this.
---

There are three different things in play here.

The Hill Assist is a brake roll back assist for Hill starts which can be enabled in the Connect Settings system.

Hill Ascent and Hill Descent are the other two. Hill Descent Control is included on the Diesel and can be engaged to maintain down slope speed as Bill as noted. Hill Ascent Control though part of the Select Speed Control system is not on the CRD currently. It allows you to use the paddle shifters to increase and decrease your crawl rate up hill. Last I heard this was not to be implemented on CRD until the 2015 Model Year. I believe this has something to do with some challenges in controlling the throttle and speed of the diesel (not a problem of "doing it" but rather implementing it in a way that gives a proper feel and feedback with the higher torque).

Geebee69 10-18-2013 01:43 AM

Well if that is true then I don't have Hill ascent. If you read the sales brochure it say's that it is available on v8 and or diesels. So I thought my car had it included until I tested it and it didn't work. On the sales brochure there is a comma that excludes the diesel. only if you read it 25 times could you maybe agree that it does exclude diesels. Very miss leading and very disappointing.

Baalic 10-18-2013 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geebee69 (Post 912761)
Well if that is true then I don't have Hill ascent. If you read the sales brochure it say's that it is available on v8 and or diesels. So I thought my car had it included until I tested it and it didn't work. On the sales brochure there is a comma that excludes the diesel. only if you read it 25 times could you maybe agree that it does exclude diesels. Very miss leading and very disappointing.

mine has a pic of level ground but works up and down. it was misleading to me because as you said it shows in the manual a downhill slope on the button... but again i have the 5.7 .. the level ground button though does work up and down on mine.

Zillajnr 10-18-2013 05:35 AM

So the question to ask to Willx (or Milous again) is will Hill Ascent mode be a sw activation to the CRD's with ORAII that currently don't have Hill Ascent uphill crawl mode? I wish it can be activated by SW when the 'late availability' actually comes around.

Willx 10-18-2013 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zillajnr (Post 912805)
So the question to ask to Willx (or Milous again) is will Hill Ascent mode be a sw activation to the CRD's with ORAII that currently don't have Hill Ascent uphill crawl mode? I wish it can be activated by SW when the 'late availability' actually comes around.

I do not believe this to be software updateable. All other late availability changes have also included a change in hardware components. Also again I do not believe the CRD is getting Hill Ascent until 2015 MY.

nautiboy 10-18-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willx (Post 912816)

I do not believe this to be software updateable. All other late availability changes have also included a change in hardware components. Also again I do not believe the CRD is getting Hill Ascent until 2015 MY.

You're assuming the CRDs will ship before the 2015 MYs ...

Willx 10-18-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nautiboy (Post 912940)
You're assuming the CRDs will ship before the 2015 MYs ...

Hardy Har Har.... :D

Jrunner01 03-23-2014 10:09 PM

Hi guys....

Just ordered the 2014 overland 4x4 Eco diesel with the Offroad adventure 2 package. So I assume the up hill ascent control is not going to be in it right?

Is this really a needed option?

What about the v6 gas?

Thanks..

bill_de 03-23-2014 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jrunner01 (Post 996618)
Hi guys....

Just ordered the 2014 overland 4x4 Eco diesel with the Offroad adventure 2 package. So I assume the up hill ascent control is not going to be in it right?

Is this really a needed option?

What about the v6 gas?

Thanks..

That option is used for what would be (for me) serious off roading. It is not a necessity for anybody, and will probably never be used by most.

---