Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   Suddenly corded tire.... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/suddenly-corded-tire-66825.html)

BostonDMD 10-17-2013 07:31 PM

Suddenly corded tire....

anyone else experience it?

Right rear tire corded (rubber came off to the metallic core) while trailering the race car back from Watkins Glen. When I changed the tire, it was still full of air.....( will post pic later)

The rubber portion further wrapped around the axle and ripped the electrical connections for the brake and turning signal lights...

Had to put on the spare, which is a joke of a tire and trailer home for 120 miles.....

A.V.GCSRT8 10-17-2013 10:12 PM

Re: Suddenly corded tire....

How many miles on the tire? Theses things come with a lot of negative camber and the wk1 was notorious for inner tire wear, so much that the same thing could happen to you. My bet is that is what happened. You were getting inner tire wear and it let go I have seen a couple threads about people complaining about it

offroader 10-17-2013 11:11 PM

What brand Tire?

BostonDMD 10-18-2013 12:59 PM

Since I use snow tires in the winter season, I am guessing the OEM Pirelli tires had no more than 20K on them...... a couple of track days on top of that, but that's all....

A.V. you nailed it...... inner right rear tire corded......

At the dealership now to have it repaired, of course I called SRT and they assume no responsibility since they did not manufacture the tire......

lstowell 10-18-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BostonDMD (Post 912593)
anyone else experience it?

Right rear tire corded (rubber came off to the metallic core) while trailering the race car back from Watkins Glen. When I changed the tire, it was still full of air.....( will post pic later)

The rubber portion further wrapped around the axle and ripped the electrical connections for the brake and turning signal lights...

Had to put on the spare, which is a joke of a tire and trailer home for 120 miles.....

I had a steel belted Pirelli do this, where it really wasn't even worn much, maybe 20K miles at most. No cupping, etc. just more or less exploded and ripped the back of an old steel Volvo up pretty good. No unusual load, no high speed, just kawhoom.

A.V.GCSRT8 10-18-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BostonDMD (Post 912999)
Since I use snow tires in the winter season, I am guessing the OEM Pirelli tires had no more than 20K on them...... a couple of track days on top of that, but that's all....

A.V. you nailed it...... inner right rear tire corded......

At the dealership now to have it repaired, of course I called SRT and they assume no responsibility since they did not manufacture the tire......

Sorry to hear man, get it to an alignment shop and have them put some positive camber in it. I know srt says they like negative camber but if you don't track the jeep who cares... I