Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Stock projector lens size? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/stock-projector-lens-size-66846.html)

LTrainGC 10-18-2013 07:24 AM

Stock projector lens size?

Since I've ordered a set of the JW Speaker LED fogs recently, I thought what better way to compliment them than with a set of clear projector lenses from TRS. The cutoff on the stock bi-xenon projectors is a bit sloppy (compared to my G37 and a Ram 1500 that I had retrofitted) and I thought that a set of clear lenses would solve that issue.

My question is, is the stock projector lens 2.5" diameter? 3" diameter? Just by looking at it my guess is that they are 3", but just wondering if anyone knew for sure. TRS has two options for 3" clear lenses, one with a 22mm "focus height" and one with a 27mm focus height. Anyone have any clue which is closest to stock?

LTrainGC 11-03-2013 07:42 PM

Re: Stock projector lens size?

After doing some further research and getting in touch with The Retrofit Source, it was determined that our stock Valeo units have 2.5" lenses, and they recommended I try a set of their TSX-R clear lenses. I ordered a set tonight and will hopefully find some time to get them installed this coming weekend!

Jeep_addicted 11-04-2013 08:57 AM

Good Luck on the install

BF07 11-04-2013 02:50 PM

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing this...

LTrainGC 11-24-2013 04:09 PM

4 Attachment(s)
So I finally had time today to get on this project. However, the results are disappointing.

Took the drivers side headlight off the Jeep, and the projector is held in place by three torx screws. Got those out and was able to pull the projector assembly out of the headlight after a bit of maneuvering. This is when I discovered that the stock lens is basically permanently affixed to the projector :( I didn't want to try and force anything so I took some pics and have emailed the guys at TRS to see if they are in fact not swappable. If they aren't, I am going to have to make a decision as to whether or not I want to fit a different projector in there or if I'm just going to leave it be.

The last pic is the clear TSX-R 2.5" clear lens from TRS - you can see the difference between it and the stock lens.

pbalias 05-04-2014 02:27 PM

Hey man, I know this is an older post, but whatever came of this? Looking to do the same project with mine.

ALSO...how did you remove the projector? Separating the lens from the headlight housing, or from the back?

BF07 05-04-2014 03:32 PM

I cut the back open and removed the three torx screws holding it in place.

pbalias 05-04-2014 04:45 PM

LTrain....since you have the whole projector out, I'm wondering if TRS has a replacement projector assembly that you could just drop/bolt in.

LTrainGC 05-05-2014 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbalias (Post 1016569)
Hey man, I know this is an older post, but whatever came of this? Looking to do the same project with mine.

ALSO...how did you remove the projector? Separating the lens from the headlight housing, or from the back?

I still have the clear lenses sitting in their boxes on my desk. I got busy with work in the beginning of the year (CPA), but now that we're slow I'm hoping to get started on a lot of projects I've had in the works.

I removed the projector through the back of the housing - it took a little jimmying but it came out. I definitely don't want to remove the lens.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbalias (Post 1016608)
LTrain....since you have the whole projector out, I'm wondering if TRS has a replacement projector assembly that you could just drop/bolt in.

I'm pretty sure I could replace the whole projector - I was thinking about doing this, maybe doing an FX-R set up. I also might end up sending them to the guy that did the retrofit on my 2010 Ram 1500 to get some custom stuff done (new projectors, painted, maybe halo's or some custom LED's).