Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   USB port not playing at all (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/usb-port-not-playing-at-all-66886.html)

Keukasmallie 10-19-2013 01:18 PM

USB port not playing at all
 
I had been using a 16G USB stick to play some favorite albums; suddenly, two days ago, the Media function no longer plays my USBs. I have tried three different sticks, but no luck.

Anyone having similar problems?

beebo401 10-19-2013 02:39 PM

Re: USB port not playing at all
 
I just picked up a 2014 grand cherokee limited and the front USB port isn't working at all either, won't acknowledge my phone or iPod and doesn't play or charge devices...taking it to the dealer Monday I'll let u know what I come up with

StaticFX 10-19-2013 05:16 PM

Re: USB port not playing at all
 
$10 bucks says its not connected on the back side of the port. Heard someone else had this issue as well

Tarponbeach 10-19-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beebo401 (Post 913547)
I just picked up a 2014 grand cherokee limited and the front USB port isn't working at all either, won't acknowledge my phone or iPod and doesn't play or charge devices...taking it to the dealer Monday I'll let u know what I come up with

Mine does not as well. I'm just using the SD card, which works as advertised.

Keukasmallie 10-20-2013 06:51 AM

Re: USB port not playing at all
 
Problem resolved...? This AM I copied the files from the original USB stick to both a different USB stick and an sd card; loaded both into the JGC Limited's media ports, and Voila the rascals both worked fine.

I'll try the original USB stick next to see if the gremlins have departed from my media player, or if the USB stick(s) I used earlier, were all "bad."

Film at eleven....

Keukasmallie 10-21-2013 08:17 AM

Re: USB port not playing at all
 
All's well that ends well...maybe. I tried the original USB stick w/ the original files and it plays just fine in the media player. Maybe it was gremlins, maybe the methane cloud as I drove by a dairy farm, maybe....

I wish the answer to all UConnect problems was to just wait a bit and try again.

beebo401 10-23-2013 12:02 PM

Re: USB port not playing at all
 
So I took my '14 Limited in because of the new software update available...but they couldn't perform the update because the front USB port was faulty. They ordered a new one and installed it today..they said everything should be fine. Luckily I tried it before leaving, because it still does not function (charge or recognize devices). Now they said they might have to replace the radio?! Im confused, I have a feeling a simple problem is going to turn into a nightmare. Just needed to vent lol

bill_de 10-23-2013 12:11 PM

Re: USB port not playing at all
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by beebo401 (Post 915793)
So I took my '14 Limited in because of the new software update available...but they couldn't perform the update because the front USB port was faulty. They ordered a new one and installed it today..they said everything should be fine. Luckily I tried it before leaving, because it still does not function (charge or recognize devices). Now they said they might have to replace the radio?! Im confused, I have a feeling a simple problem is going to turn into a nightmare. Just needed to vent lol

There don't seem to be enough people in the auto industry who understand electronics. With mechanical systems many untrained technicians could get away with throwing parts at a problem until they stumbled onto the correct one. The customer paid for lots of unnecessary parts, but the vehicle got fixed. Today, changing parts is not usually the answer. Electronic components are much more stable than the software that runs on them.

The Christmas tree dash is a good example. After swapping all sorts of parts, Jeep finally decided it is a software problem.

I guess part of the high unemployment rate really is what the news media has been saying ... "Not enough people trained to fill the jobs available" .

lstowell 10-23-2013 12:46 PM

Re: USB port not playing at all
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keukasmallie (Post 913826)
Problem resolved...? This AM I copied the files from the original USB stick to both a different USB stick and an sd card; loaded both into the JGC Limited's media ports, and Voila the rascals both worked fine.

I'll try the original USB stick next to see if the gremlins have departed from my media player, or if the USB stick(s) I used earlier, were all "bad."

Film at eleven....

Were these cheap sticks, or a name brand like SanDisk [which are also inexpensive]?

Does the stick have an indicator for when it is opened by the radio, and if so, does it come on?

Might want to blow the files and reformat FAT32 and retry the other sticks. If it can't open the $MFT the stick is a keychain weight.

lstowell 10-23-2013 12:48 PM

Re: USB port not playing at all
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keukasmallie (Post 914361)
All's well that ends well...maybe. I tried the original USB stick w/ the original files and it plays just fine in the media player. Maybe it was gremlins, maybe the methane cloud as I drove by a dairy farm, maybe....

I wish the answer to all UConnect problems was to just wait a bit and try again.

I use a short USB extender because getting that stick inserted correctly behind that door is a real PITA for bigger or even just cold hands. Plus, if I ding up the extender, off to the parts store--as opposed to dinging up the one behind that panel.

Keukasmallie 10-23-2013 01:32 PM

Re: USB port not playing at all
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lstowell (Post 915820)
Were these cheap sticks, or a name brand like SanDisk [which are also inexpensive]?

Does the stick have an indicator for when it is opened by the radio, and if so, does it come on?

Might want to blow the files and reformat FAT32 and retry the other sticks. If it can't open the $MFT the stick is a keychain weight.

Each of the sticks I tried were sandisk sticks. The only indicator is a pulsing red glow when activated. As I said, all is well at this point. I choose to blame the problem on the government shutdown since that seems to be the cause of all other ills in society this week.

I'm going to give those extenders you mentioned a look, thanks for the tip!

lstowell 10-23-2013 02:29 PM

Re: USB port not playing at all
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 915801)
There don't seem to be enough people in the auto industry who understand electronics. With mechanical systems many untrained technicians could get away with throwing parts at a problem until they stumbled onto the correct one. The customer paid for lots of unnecessary parts, but the vehicle got fixed. Today, changing parts is not usually the answer. Electronic components are much more stable than the software that runs on them.

The Christmas tree dash is a good example. After swapping all sorts of parts, Jeep finally decided it is a software problem.

I guess part of the high unemployment rate really is what the news media has been saying ... "Not enough people trained to fill the jobs available" .

A similar transition happened in the commercial computer business back in the late 60-70s transition. It isn't just electronics, it is mechanical, electronic hardware, and software the poor tech has to be able to deal with, and distinguish which among those three is the most likely culprit [they do have "signatures" for any given device].

We had a bitch of a time in finding people capable of being trained in all three.
Oddly enough after a lot of possibly unfortunate hires, it turned out that someone with good mechanical troubleshooting [as opposed to throw parts at it] was easier to
train in electronics and software than vice versa. The software hires were pretty much all disasters in dealing with the electronics and hardware. The electronics types were the best but only if they were also mechanical--we used to ask if they did their own car work on interviews.

The diagnosis itself is simple: mechanicals go whumpa whumpa, electronics go sizzle and let out magic smoke, and its always the damn software.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community