Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Hitch height (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/hitch-height-66919.html)

Rkjzhill 10-20-2013 03:17 PM

Hitch height

Anybody know what the suspension drop is on a 2 wheel drive model with about 500 lbs of tongue weight? The towing package comes with a load leveling rear suspension but i am not sure if that returns the hitch receiver to its preloaded heigth.
Thanks.

berk483 10-20-2013 09:36 PM

Re: Hitch heigth

Shouldn't be much if any drop, thats the point of the load-leveling rear shocks. They work pretty well at keeping the back end from squatting.

NAGA 10-20-2013 09:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is mine today with trailer pkg my camper hitch weight 320 +- few. I have all my luggage for the weekend ice chest 90lb lab piled in the back with the seats folded so it's should be close to what you looking for. The jeep is level in the pic. So it dropped 1-1/2" or so. From what I noticed the rear suspension firms up under a load and it doesn't feel floaty but it does squat down a little

Attachment 30587

Mcdenny 10-21-2013 08:37 AM

Re: Hitch height

Load leveling suspension doesn't have an air compressor to raise the rear end like you would think. The rear shocks pump themselves up (I think) while you drive.

My trailer has 390 # tongue weight. Doesn't drop the rear end down much. Never measured after driving to see if the "load leveling" actually worked.

AAAA 10-21-2013 08:47 AM

Level the tongue and measure the height. Then measure the hitch height.

Rkjzhill 10-21-2013 10:26 PM

Thanks, sounds like i should buy a couple of different hitch drops and return the one that doesnt level my trailer. It will be interesting to see how the rear suspension works to level the load without some form of pneumatic assist.

BobT 10-21-2013 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rkjzhill (Post 914921)
Thanks, sounds like i should buy a couple of different hitch drops and return the one that doesnt level my trailer. It will be interesting to see how the rear suspension works to level the load without some form of pneumatic assist.

See ZF suspension technology to debut on Jeep

webspoke 10-21-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rkjzhill (Post 914921)

On mine the load leveling shocks can't bring the rear back to the previous height with 500-600lbs on it. It does squat a little tail down initially, but the shocks pump up to about level, which is about 1.75" drop ( incidentally the same as e leveling kits on the market).