Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Visual Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/)
-   -   Plasti Dipped Emblems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/plasti-dipped-emblems-66927.html)

Gtaz19 10-20-2013 08:57 PM

Plasti Dipped Emblems
 
7 Attachment(s)
So here are some pictures of the emblems on the back of my 2014 Durango R/T. I decided to Plasti Dip the emblems on the back of the car to match them to the black paint. They are flat black which I wanted but they do have a gloss you can use as well for shine. I liked this method because it can be removed easily and it can be applied w/o removing the emblems from the car. You can see the coating is very smooth and went on very well. The Plasti dip is also very durable. many people are plasti dipping rims as well as entire cars now if you check out you tube. it is available in many colors too. I toyed with red for the emblems as well, at least the R/T emblem.

Just wanted to see what people thought and give the idea to people who don't like the chrome look. but don't want to pull the badges.


Please excuse the dirt, it rained yesterday and I haven't gotten the car cleaned yet...

vertrkr 10-21-2013 08:58 AM

Re: Plasti Dipped Emblems
 
Looks good. I just got my first can and thinking of doing the side vent bezels as the chrome reflects right into the side mirrors for my seating position. I assume you use an xacto on the trim line before peeling off the excess?

davewg 10-21-2013 08:59 AM

Re: Plasti Dipped Emblems
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gtaz19 (Post 914147)
So here are some pictures of the emblems on the back of my 2014 Durango R/T. I decided to Plasti Dip the emblems on the back of the car to match them to the black paint. They are flat black which I wanted but they do have a gloss you can use as well for shine. I liked this method because it can be removed easily and it can be applied w/o removing the emblems from the car. You can see the coating is very smooth and went on very well. The Plasti dip is also very durable. many people are plasti dipping rims as well as entire cars now if you check out you tube. it is available in many colors too. I toyed with red for the emblems as well, at least the R/T emblem.

Just wanted to see what people thought and give the idea to people who don't like the chrome look. but don't want to pull the badges.


Please excuse the dirt, it rained yesterday and I haven't gotten the car cleaned yet...

Looks good! Nice job showing us all the masking off too.

Gtaz19 10-21-2013 09:32 AM

Re: Plasti Dipped Emblems
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by vertrkr (Post 914392)
Looks good. I just got my first can and thinking of doing the side vent bezels as the chrome reflects right into the side mirrors for my seating position. I assume you use an xacto on the trim line before peeling off the excess?

You really don't need to use an exacto against the car. The great thing about this stuff is that it peels and likes to split at seams when painted right. a bunch of really light coats. Because the seam on the moldings so fine, I'd pull slowly and then if needed, cut away from the car so not to cut into the paint or clearcoat, or worse the chromewhich can cause rusting.

If you look at the masking job I did, you will see I didn't mask each letter, I masked the area and actually painted the paint and then pulled excess plasti dip away. If you watch some videos on you tube,you will see what I mean.

davewg 10-21-2013 09:36 AM

Re: Plasti Dipped Emblems
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by vertrkr (Post 914392)
Looks good. I just got my first can and thinking of doing the side vent bezels as the chrome reflects right into the side mirrors for my seating position. I assume you use an xacto on the trim line before peeling off the excess?

My wife commented on the irritation of seeing the vent bezels in the side mirrors. Plasti-dipping them is a great idea, but thoughts on using a paint pen instead??

Any idea how to remove those trims?

colby1035 10-21-2013 09:37 AM

Re: Plasti Dipped Emblems
 
Quick question?
I like to de-badge my vehicles.
Are the DODGE letters on the tail light the same as the rest on the back and can be easily removed?

Gtaz19 10-21-2013 10:11 AM

Re: Plasti Dipped Emblems
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by colby1035 (Post 914437)
Quick question?
I like to de-badge my vehicles.
Are the DODGE letters on the tail light the same as the rest on the back and can be easily removed?

All of the badges can be romoved, however the DODGE letters are inset into the plastic and would leave a inset or embossed look. I's sugest plasti dipping those and removing the badges below. No matter what color you have, the blackwouldbe good for the DODGE badge but depending on the color, the other badges might not have a color dip that matches as well. I liked the R/T badge, just didn'twant the chrome.

Gtaz19 10-21-2013 10:14 AM

Re: Plasti Dipped Emblems
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by davewg (Post 914434)
My wife commented on the irritation of seeing the vent bezels in the side mirrors. Plasti-dipping them is a great idea, but thoughts on using a paint pen instead??

Any idea how to remove those trims?

I don't think you will get an even coat or a good lookwith the paint pen. I'd try the dip first. as far as removing the trim, that might be possible too as it's probably adhesive. I'd Try the dip fist as you can't mess up, it peels right off. If you don't like it, then try to pull them which while fixable is more problematicif you don't like it whne done.

vertrkr 10-21-2013 11:03 AM

Re: Plasti Dipped Emblems
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by davewg (Post 914434)
My wife commented on the irritation of seeing the vent bezels in the side mirrors. Plasti-dipping them is a great idea, but thoughts on using a paint pen instead??
Any idea how to remove those trims?

Paint pen wouldn't look good, you'd see stroke marks. This happens on very smooth surfaces that are big enough to require multiple strokes to cover the area. The dodge emblems I did on the back were small enough I could cover it with one or two passes. I'll probably try vinyl wrapping the bezels first but I don't think I'll like the look so most likely I'll pop them out and plasti-dip them.

Not sure if they are clipped in or adhesive but I'm going to give them a tug and see what happens. BTW you really need some trim tools for this kind of work. I got these on Amazon for $20:

Astro Pneumatic 4524 Auto Fastener and Molding Removal Tool Set, 11-Piece - Amazon.com

vertrkr 10-21-2013 10:30 PM

Re: Plasti Dipped Emblems
 
2 Attachment(s)
I pulled on the bezel and the whole vent housing came out with very little effort. From there I see the bezel is attached with 6 tabs that are extremely thin. Difficult to take off pushing and pulling all tabs in baby steps, I broke 2 tabs in the process. Definitely gonna have to use some gorilla super glue putting it back on. I was just doing some exploratory work but now I see how weak it is I'll plasti-dip before putting it back on as it's not going to survive two removals.

I'd recommend not removing the bezel and plasti-dip with it attached to the housing with masking.

Gtaz19 10-21-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vertrkr (Post 914923)
I pulled on the bezel and the whole vent housing came out with very little effort. From there I see the bezel is attached with 6 tabs that are extremely thin. Difficult to take off pushing and pulling all tabs in baby steps, I broke 2 tabs in the process. Definitely gonna have to use some gorilla super glue putting it back on. I was just doing some exploratory work but now I see how weak it is I'll plasti-dip before putting it back on as it's not going to survive two removals. I'd recommend not removing the bezel and plasti-dip with it attached to the housing with masking.

Looking like fun, post results!

vertrkr 10-22-2013 06:50 PM

Re: Plasti Dipped Emblems
 
Holy crap, don't pull the bezels out. Apparently the passenger side was not clipped in and came right out barely pulling on it. The driver side I thought would be the same but didn't budge so I pulled harder and harder until the chrome bezel snapped off but not the housing. Now there was no way to put the bezel back on unless I got the housing out. That took me about 45 minutes of struggling with every slim tool in the book. There are 4 clips that can only be released from inside the dash. I had to use 2 small bendable spatulas, a butter knife and a cake icing spreading tool to hold down all 4 clips at once while I pulled from the outside.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community